OPM Songs about Weed and Getting High

Yesterday, while working, I noticed that the date was 4/19, and then Eraserheads' Alapaap played. I figured the song would be perfect for the next day as well. Then I thought of looking into my playlist for song that could be great playlists for 4/20. I found only 5 from my current playlist–all of which are mainstream. I am certain there are a lot more that I don't know of, so if you know any, feel free to leave a comment.

Alapaap - Eraserheads


Masdan mo ang aking mata
Di mo ba nakikita
Ako ngayo'y lumilipad at nasa langit na
Gusto mo bang sumama
I was just a kid when this song came out. Like every other Eraserheads song, I loved and I the lyrics but getting only the literal meaning of the words. Later as I grew older, I knew there was something else the song was saying. As a matter of fact during the height of the band's popularity, Tito Sotto proposed that this song be banned in the airwaves claiming that it is a bad influence among the youth because it promotes smoking pot.

Mottaka - Cheese


When the moon shines, from the heavens above
Life will be sweet, so green and so young
Hemp will be ruling my brothers again
If you got the ganja, then pass it my friend
 
When the moon shines from the heavens above
Life will be sweet, so green and so young
I open my mind as I lie on the floor
Join me as we both live in 
ecstasy
This song bluntly tells about smoking weed. I wasn't aware of this band until college because their genre wasn't really my slice of cheese. I came to know the band already as Queso. Recently, as I've been rediscovering new and old music from various genres, I came across Cheese/Queso, and this particular song caught my interest because it has a catchy beat.

4:20 - Kamikazee


Lumulutang
Nakayakap sa kalawakan
Lumulutang
O kay sarap na mahibang
Kislap at pungay ng maata
Napapaluha sa saya
Ikaw ang may dala
In this song, Kamikazee tells how it is to be high–experiencing hallucinations and all the joys smoking pot brings.

Song for the Suspect - Franco


One love, jah love
Come and feel the vibe
He's given us the herb
Rising from under the Earth
With soul we can unite
So give me and pass me the light
Throw away all your hate come, come with me
This song is one of my current favorites. There's just something in it that makes me feel good. In this piece, Franco speaks of the 'herb'. Right in the middle part of the song, there's even a narration of Bob Marley about the weed being created for the use of man–"created by divine mind for divine purposes."



Lumilipad na naman ang isip ko
Na para bang ako'y nasa kalangitan
Sa tuwing si Momay ay aking matitikman
(Sa tuwing si Momay ay aking matitikman)
Ang simoy ng hangin sa akin ay lumalamig na
(Ang simoy ng hangin sa akin ay lumalamig na)
Shotgun shotgun ganja ganja buddha buddha
I do have this is my playlist, because, why not? The title itself screams "this song is about smoking pot" as "momay" is a colloquial term for marijuana.

Happy 420 people! Keep the light blazing.

Popular Posts