Ang Alamat ni Bernardo Bernardo

Being my usual indecisive self, I only confirmed joining this climb on the day of the climb itself, at around 6 a.m., after I decided to cancel my original answer to not join. I was supposed to be at the meeting place by 7 a.m. It has already been moved, generously, from the original 4 a.m. I asked it to be moved to 7:30 because I was running late because half an hour before, I sent Mara a message that I won't be joining after all.

I got a message that Wik also asked for it to be moved to 8 a.m. because she's still packing her things. I took my time leisurely, and was so confident I'd make it on time, so I tool Espana to Cubao. Of course, I was late. I arrived at the meeting place half an hour before 9, had a quick breakfast, and bought a take out for lunch.

The sun was already high and mighty when we took the ride to Rodriguez, Rizal. Okay lang, sabi namin, isang bundok lang naman.

We arrived at the jump-off at around 11, registered, only to be told that there were no longer available guides. It was almost noon after all.

But my group has no plan to go back without getting to do what we went there for. We told the tourism officer we'll wait for guides that'll be arriving from the first part of the 'twin dayhike.'

Fortunately, one guide was willing to take us in. Kuya Ogie was only guiding a group of three, so it wasn't really that much of a bother.

We started the trek at around 1 p.m. Yes, mainit, eh tamad kaming gumising nang maaga, eh.

Jump-off
Star trek, my favorite part of every hiking trip itinerary
At the start of the trek is a set of concrete stairs, which makes sense since it's a residential area. Then the trails turns greener with more grass, and tall banana trees, and other woods.



There's a kape somewhere in here, silently looking down at the hikers, while smoking his big-ass tabako.


I almost leaped for joy when I noticed this part--a massive leaning rock, which looks like a campsite/pahingahan. Nothing big. I just thought I found the place where the hippies/hipster go to party. (Click here para maka-relate.)

Rocky Balboa ang trail as you go up.
Are we out of the woods? Rizal Edition
Because our guide is also an 'extreme photographer'

The gang, in a very weekend teenage TV series pose
As you go higher, the sagingan and other woods are replaced by thin bamboo plants.


After several spiderman-ings (rock climbing), we reached the summit. It was around 3 p.m. We ate our baon, and took turns taking photos at the famous 'rock.' It's now famous because Gideon (pinoymountaineer.com) took a photo in here, so naturally, those who follow his blog would also want their photo taken in here. If you ask me, I'd rather take a photo in this spot:


It's lovely. Plus it looks like your being spat out by a dinosaur/giant monster. Too bad for me, I didn't get to take a photo of me in this spot, because everyone started going down for 'the rock.'


The photos will not justify how scary this part is. Yung di mo alam kung saan ka aapak or hahawak, but the one in front of you made it to the other rock, so kayanin mo na lang.


That's me, shielding my eyes against the sun, and also because wala akong alam na cool na pose, maliban sa 'peace' and arms-widespread poses.

The majestic view is provided by Sierra Madre mountains, kung saan maraming "gwapings" sabi ng guide namin.

We descended back shortly after taking photos to brag on social media. We took our time trekking, so there was no more time taking the traverse, or seeing the Wawa Dam.


Wawa Dam
This is me contemplating how deep the ravine is, and what will happen to my body if I make a wrong step.


It was an awesome experience, you guys.

On our way back to the jump-off, only then that I realized that these are the mountains where Bernardo Carpio is trapped. Legend says he's still there, trying to push the two big rocks aside, so he can get out. His attempts can actually be felt during an earthquake, as per the legend.


It's up to you if you're gonna believe it, but we saw no Bernardo Carpio. Not even Bernardo Bernardo! (Ang korni. Last na yan.)

Popular Posts