Types of Students in a Foreign Language Class

This year, I had to take classes in Español to fulfill the requirements for my graduate school program. There are a lot of interesting personalities I met in each class (because I changed schedules in each level). I was able to make connections, whether it temporary or permanent, I have yet to see. Now, let's talk about the types of people I've met in my classes.

1. The Working People

These people usually comprise the most number of the students in the class. The BPO industry in the Philippines is booming and thus, there is a demand for bilingual speakers (particularly Spanish). Of course, the pay is higher for people who can communicate with more languages.

2. Graduate school student

At first I thought these types of students will dominate the language class, but I was wrong. In reality, there is usually one or just a couple of students who enrolled because they need it for graduate school, locally and abroad. 

3. Por amor

These people will always gets teased whenever they answer the question on why they enrolled in the class. Simply put, these people took foreign language classes to learn the language of their significant others. Such passionate people.

3. I've got plenty of time/Nothing better to do

Yes, there are these types of students. Fresh graduates who are not yet working, people who are not pressured to find a work at all, full-time moms who have time to spare after sending their kids to school--they really have no other reason aside from having so much time to spare.

4. Retired

Kind of related to the former, these people are already retired and just have a lot of spare time on their hands so they decided to go back to school.

5. Travelling titas

There are also those that are studying basic foreign languages because they are travelling.

Popular Posts