Bicolandia: In the Philippines' spicy capital


Was in Naga for 3 days for a training. I was tapped to facilitate a session on social media for lobbying and advocacy. It was a last minute call, but I still accepted it. Because who doesn't like challenges? 😁Anyway, it was also a good experience for me. Nakakataba ng puso to hear feedbacks from the participants that they learned something from my session. As for me, I know I still have a lot to learn when it comes to facilitating, but I also had to tap myself at the back for being able to do this activity. For one, I am an introvert who suddenly got into a work that requires me to interact with people and speak infront of an audience every now and then.

For three nights, I was busy preparing for my sessions and so is my colleague so we really did not have time to spare going around the city. On our first night, we were toured around by our colleagues who hails from Naga and happens to be in the city during that time. We went to see a cathedral, the Rizal Park, and just walked around the city center.


 




Trivia: Southstar Drug originates from Naga. It really piqued my curiosity after noticing that there is a Southstar Drug in almost every corner in the city.

We dined at Bigg's, a popular homegrown fastfood chain in Bicol, and of course, we gotta try Bicol's famous chili flavored ice cream.


This is really on our list. Good thing 1st Colonial, the restaurant that sells chili ice cream, was still open late at night. We tried different ice cream flavors: chili ice cream (I only asked for level 2), tinutong na rice, pili, ginataang mais, cacao, kalabasa, malunggay, etc. Everything we tried was superb! πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘ Click here to view more photos


Bicol region, where Naga is, is known for its food particularly Bicol Express and Laing, and anything ginataan-related, probably because coconuts is also among its major produces. The Bicolanos are also known for their love for spicy food.

Durin our stay in the city, we also dined at Chef Doy's Gourmet Restaurant, a Filipiniana themed restaurant and they serve really good food. While we were there, we were serenaded by young musicians performing a music that's very popular among Filipino titos and titas.



I ought to go back to Naga, this time to just explore the city. I was only there for several days yet I already felt the warmth the place offers and the warmth of its people. I realized I had many good friends from Naga, and who are currently based there but unfortunately, I had no time to meet up with them. I did contact my former housemate, Jelai, because I thought I will be able to spare a night to catch up with her, but I just learned then that she works in Legazpi, which is in another province. It warms my heart to know that friends are willing to see me when they saw my posts about Naga. I really ought to go back and let them introduce their home to me.

---
PSA


Nakabili ako ng bag mula sa TAMUCO (Talisay Multi-Purpose Cooperative). Inalok ng isang participant sa training na pinuntahan ko sa Naga after ng session ko. Ayon sa attached na label, the bag is made of pandan leaves and handcrafted by 4Ps beneficiaries and Gawad Kalinga women. Bale woven pandan na may balot na tela sa labas at loob, pero sa ilalim bare lang na woven pandan. ("Pandan? Eh di mabango yan!" "Pag magluluto ka pwede mo 'to gamitin.") Kidding aside, tuwang-tuwa ako dito kasi ang convenient niya. Dahil malaki, kasya ang laptop pati na yung dslr plus iba pang mga gamit, pati excess baggage siguro may space pa.

Pinagpilian na yan, nakita ko kasi earlier na may mga bags na tinitingnan yung mga participants sa isang corner. The next day ginamit ko na siya, at andaming naiinggit. Effective yata akonv endorser (move over Marian Rivera πŸ˜‚), o sadyang marami lang akong kapareho ng taste sa mga participants. Pero last item na siya na dala nila kaya kinainggitan na lang nila ako hanggang sa mag-uwian. πŸ˜… Anyway, kasali daw ang TAMUCO sa upcoming trade fair ng Landbank sa Malate, baka magkaron na ako ng kapareho sa Manila. (Sabi ko kay ate ipopost ko sa Facebook para mapromote sila kasi feeling ko talaga ako si Marian Rivera na ambassador ng Kultura.)

Contact TAMUCO @
De Lara St., Talisay, Camarines Norte
Telefax: (054) 605 0038
Email:
tamuco_869@yahoo.com
Mobile: 09175442118, 09396027086 .

Popular Posts