Pihit sa Hangin Adventure Race



Aside from working in New York City, my ultimate dream is to join the Amazing Race.

I’ve always fantasized that when I get older, probably when I’m 20 and one of the two major networks in the country had already franchised the reality show, I will definitely audition for it. But for now, I will start by joining amateur and school-based adventure race.

I learned from Karen that their Fine Arts class will hold this adventure race in school where any bona fide UPB student can join and that the winning team will receive cash prize. Aside from the fact that I was broke, I saw it as an opportunity to somehow fulfill my dream.

I eagerly looked for two other people who could join me. No one from my blockmates and roommates said yes but I eventually found company with the equally adventure-seeking dormmates Yheng and Lors. Obviously, they just gave in to my plea as I said I really need money.

Everything was fine, we were all good and the day before the race, we went around the campus and studied the artworks as instructed by the race organizers.

Lors and Yarra never told me that they have asthmatic tendencies. During the race itself, there were times when we would have to stop for their breathing to stabilize. Also there were times when someone would be left behind and we couldn’t go through a certain task until the group is complete. The ever energetic and agitated me felt guilty. Yes, we bagged the prize (maybe the alignment of the moon and stars was in our favor, haha) but it seemed that the two, especially Lors, were really drained after the race.

Sorry guys for dragging you into this just because I needed the money. But many, many thanks for giving in and feeding my fantasy. I really enjoyed the experience. Too bad I couldn’t find any photos of the race. I only have the PDF file of Ti Similia newsletter where the story was published. I salvaged the copy from the UPB website.

I will forever keep in me the thought of an all-female freshman team outsmarted eight other teams will always be remembered. Much love Team Aphrodite!

Popular Posts