Hiking Mt. Jumbo

One weekend, we went hiking somewhere in the mountains of La Trinidad. At first I thought my classmates were kidding when I asked where are we hiking, and they said, "Mt. Jumbo" But it's true, there is a hill in Tawang, La Trinidad named as such.

Our teacher told us this is supposed to be a race. Our class would be divided into groups and will race to the summit, using compasses to find the right way and all. I'm not sure what happened, I thought maybe he didn't have enough compass for everybody (hehe) or he just realized it's a risky activity. We would be needing guides if ever, to avoid getting into danger. In the end, he decided we go hiking as a group. I ditched the Banahaw field trip for of this. It may seem like I lack in judgment (well, maybe sometimes), but I never regret my decision. I already asked money from my parents and all (and kept it and did not inform them I wasn't going anyway), and chose to write an at least 20 pages paper for PI 100.

Now, I had no proper shoes for the activity. I only had low-cut sneakers. In the end I chose to use the cheapest pair, so I won't mid if it gets broken along the way, hehe. I just prayed I won't get injured.




It took us one and a half hours to hike up. It went smoothly thanks to the seniors group's hilarity. I barely felt tired. On the way up, we met this group who are already on their way down, and they have a baby, which helped boost my energy, because I felt it's safe up there.


La Trinidad
This one was published in Midland Courier where I was an intern
Once we're on the top (I'm not sure if it's the summit) we took photos, settled in, and started eating our baon, but before we could even finish eating, it started to drizzle. Few minutes later, it started raining. We decided to go back down when the rain showed no signs of stopping soon.


The hike down was the challenging one. Sometimes, the rain would stop but it would pour again. Most of us slipped along the way because of the muddy trails. Thank goodness no one was seriously injured.

Nonetheless, it was still quite a nice experience! And my shoes still survived. :p

Popular Posts