Bad News

No TV. No newspaper. No news. Only the Internet but still I never got the chance to read, watch or hear any news for weeks.

While I was reading my classmates' posts on their blog sites, I felt like I was in a different dimension. I was alienated with what is happening around. It is ironic. I am a Journalism student yet am not updated with the latest events.

The moment I woke up the next day, I immediately turned the TV on and watched news while eating breakfast and while waiting for the hot water for my bath. It felt really odd. It was like I had lived in a cave for a while.

The news reporter was stating about this terrorist attack in India. I silently spoke to myself, "Oh, people are already dying in India because of this attack but I do not know anything about it. When did this happen? Why aren't people talking about it?”

According to the report, the attack caused damages not only in India but in other countries as well, and yet there are people like me who are not informed.

The next day, I left my copy of the Saturday issue of Philippine Daily Inquirer on our dining table. Then after a few moments, my roommate was shocked when she read the headline of the banner story.

I am not alone after all. My roommate never heard of the India attack, too. And then I felt a little fear. Fear for those people who do not seem to care about what is happening. There is already a chaos but there are those who seem not to care.

Journalists work to let the people know what is happening around us. But what if the public themselves do not take time to read, watch or listen to the news? At least, I had an excuse --been busy with school stuff.

It is true that there are people who had no time to watch, read or listen to news and there are those who have no access to the media. But what about those who have the time and the resources but they prefer not to watch, read or listen to news?

I remember one time, one of my housemates was complaining about all these bad news being reported. She was ranting and telling that people do not really need such information. That reporters should give the good news especially for those people who had a stressful day at the workplace or in school. Disappointing, she said. She has a point.

Suddenly, I came across this thought. What if the people just stop watching news because all they see is bad news everywhere?

Popular Posts