The People, and their Stories

I like going places. Discovering new things. Tasting new dishes. Meeting different people and learning their culture, their way of life. These are just some of the perks taking up Journalism offers.

Being a Journalism student, I can say that for the past three years, my course gave me the chance to meet people I never thought I would.

Every Journalism student knows how sources are detrimental to every story. There is no story without a source. And in finding sources for my stories, I met quite a number of people. Some of them were hesitant to talk to strangers, in that case, us, student journalists.

One really has to have the knowledge on dealing with sources like these. You have to gain their trust so they speak up.

Most of these people though, we'll only got to meet and talk once. Although there is a chance you'll get to work with them again in the future. So be very careful.

Through the field works, I learned to be friends with the fiercest people. I learned to smile to the ones that seem to find happiness in other people’s miseries. Even though I survived most of the requirements for my Journalism subjects, I must say I am still learning the art of dealing with different people.

It is on the beat that I learned other people’s way of life; lucky you if your sources are sharers -- they'll spill even the information that you won’t need. Most often this information are all you really need to better understand the story; for you to be able to really write objectively.

In most cases though, Journalism is not just about meeting the sources and getting the most vital
information but also knowing them and be able to really understand the context of the story.

There are more than a thousand faces of people. And everyday, each is struggling to tell his own story. And I am glad I had chosen an endeavor where I would be able meet some of these people and tell their stories.

Popular Posts