Have You Heard About the Latest?

After more than six months in the highland city, I am finally home, again.

When I stepped out of the bus, I eagerly looked around, curious of what changes happened to my hometown since I left. There were indeed some development.

When I arrived in our house, I heard our neighbors talking about someone who was nowhere to be found because she left her family just the night before. I smiled. People haven’t changed. Gossiping around is still their past time.

One time, my professor in Community Journalism asked why there are no papers in our community. I answered, perhaps nobody dares to put up one because the townspeople have no time to read.

Farming is the main source of living in our place. Everyday, people go to the fields, tilling the land, planting rice, harvesting the golden grains, at various times of the year. People hardly find time for recreation. And the only way people learn about the happenings in our place or out of town is through verbal communication.

This was proven later in the afternoon when my mother brought me with her to the wedding of her friend’s son. I was already sleepy waiting for the ceremony to be over when my cousin came rushing and told us to hurry because my uncle has been wounded by one of his drinking buddies. Accordingly, the incident happened a few minutes ago.

This is how information is disseminated around the town. Most often, verbal communication is still faster and more trusted than virtual communication or through the use of phones.

The downside of this though, is that the information may not be accurate because as it is passed, there are some things that are already omitted or some things that are added. But still people resort to it as the fastest way to be updated on what is happening.

I always had this wild dream of putting up a paper in our place someday. I thought it could easily succeed because everyday, there are many crimes taking place around town. Silly. The paper won't survive with violence alone as its content.

But hey, perhaps, one day I will really pursue this dream. I will just have to think of other things that will interest the people to read it. For now, I’ll leave it to gossiping as the fastest way of disseminating information around the town.

Popular Posts