In Baguio, Once Again

It was a planned trip with friends, but they eventually backed out for financial reasons (daw). I really wanted to push through because I made a promise to myself that I wouldn't let a single year pass without visiting Baguio. Since I left for Manila in August 2009, I never had the chance (and money!) to go to Baguio again.

It was already rainy season, but I really wanna go up there. I terribly miss Baguio. The cold. The fog. The towering pine trees. The flower gardens. I miss walking up and down Session Road, boating at Burnham Lake, window shopping at Porta Vaga, finding cheap second hand books at Puso ng Baguio, thrift shopping at the night market. I miss being with friends, chatting over coffee, food and booze. I miss getting drunk and feeling not-drunk because of the perpetually cold weather. I just wanna do all the fun things I used to do when I was still living in Baguio.

Last week, Mara sent out invitations for drinks at her place in La Trinidad the same day I was set to go to Baguio, giving me another reason to push through. Though, I was half-hearted, because as if something's holding me back. Hindi ko rin alam. But thinking about all the fun made me finally decide to go.

Come Saturday, I got out of bed at around 9 a.m., had breakfast, placed some stuff in a huge shoulder bag, and headed off to Victory Liner in Sampaloc. Unfortunately, the last trip to Baguio already left when I got there. I had no choice but to go to Pasay where they have an hourly trip to Baguio. It just pissed me off thinking that I wasted almost four hours just travelling around the metro. The bus left Pasay at around 2:30 p.m. Good thing I brought with me a book because I just couldn't sleep off long bus trips.

I was so thrilled when I noticed a familiar face (a former teacher at UP Baguio who I formerly had a crush on) seated just across mine. We were already in La Union by that time and the sun started setting. At some point, I saw him staring at me. I was thinking maybe somehow he recognized me (as someone from UPB) or I just creeped him out, because he caught me staring.

It was already dark when my friends called to ask where I am. The bus just entered Cordillera Administrative Region, meaning we were already in Benguet, but it’s still an hour away. I just told them to have dinner already and I’ll just go to Mara’s place if they couldn’t wait for me. But I know no matter what, they would wait for me. :p

I felt a different level of happiness when I stepped out of the bus. I was in Baguio once again.

It was drizzling but I opted to walk from the terminal, passing by APO Park, SM and UP Baguio. My feet felt so light. I didn’t wear a jacket to fully enjoy the chill. I would’ve walked all the way to Good Taste where my friends are, but I was already very late, so I rode a jeepney to the market.

I was amused by the crowd that greeted me at the second floor of the restaurant. Good old Good Taste, one of PIC-Pagta’s tambayan/dining/drinking places. The restaurant is very popular but I was still surprised to see the crowd. Good thing Jom (just my college dreamboat) saw me (insert kilig icon here), and off we went up the third floor, where I was greeted with "uuuuyyyys" because of (1) the clothes I was wearing (me in mini-skirt is a new sight for them) (2) my long straight hair (I maintained a short hair all throughout my stay in Baguio) (3) my not-so-obvious weight loss and lighter complexion (thank you, water of Manila) (4) the fact that earlier, they thought of asking Jom to fetch me at the terminal so we could go to the restaurant together. I love my friends.

That's my college dreamboat right there.
After dinner, we waited for other friends before heading to Mara’s house in Cogcoga, the one I refer to as 5000-meters above sea level. I have already been there several times but I never get used to it. We brought drinks so I had to warn them I was no longer the lasenggera they knew. It surprised me more that my batchmates did not touch the booze, too. Welcome to adulthood?

Naturally, there was a lot of ‘backstabbing’ that happened, hehe. I bet in every group, you talk about the people who are not present at the gathering. As the night deepens, we were asked by Mara’s uncle to tone down so as not to disturb the neighbors. But then the boys started singing and playing the guitar. (BREAKING: Volkmann has a younger brother who’s equally gwapo and talented. Too bad he’s too young. HA!)




Day 2


View from Mara's house
We were locked inside the house so we had to wait until Mara’s relatives return home. It was late afternoon when we left for John Hay and met-up with another friend of ours. I spent the night with my fraternity/sorority siblings, drank at El Costa Bar in Engineer’s Hill. Sosyal na sila ngayon, bar na at hindi na house party. :p

Blueberry pancake
Gamma Pi


Day 3

The next day, I went to the Civil Service Commission office to get my certificate. I took the Civil Service exam in March 29, 2009 (exactly the day after my 21st birthday) and luckily, passed it. I’ve got a very low average though. After obtaining that piece of paper that proves how slow I can get when it comes to Math, I went to SM and hang with Drix. After a while, we went to UP where I hoarded books from UP Press. Yow, the prices are relatively cheap and I love love love Philippine literature. May shoot pa ng indie film ni Direk Alix (Muli) sa school. Sid Lucero was there.

Used to come here for morning walks
Later in the afternoon, we went singing at Quantum, had beer and pizza at Jom’s place. Then continued drinking at bar at Session Road (the bar is called Singgles, how appropriate).




After getting our asses drunk, we went to the Bandaos’ supposedly to sleep (because Mara can’t decide whether she wants to go to Manila with me or stay in Baguio). I still have to work the next day so once I sobered up, I took the sad trip back to Manila, alone. If I could just stay in Baguio, forever.

Popular Posts