Sabik sa Subic!

I had no plan of attending the Alpha Phi Omega Gamma Pi’s 39th anniversary celebration in Subic because I am broke. I jokingly asked a brother to pay for my fare so I can go. I didn’t expect it but he gave in because I told him he looks like James Franco. Too bad he bit it. :p

Knowing this person well, or at least enough to judge his actions, I wasn’t really convinced he’d really pay for my fare. He is one of the most “barat” people I know. Come Saturday, I was traversing to Trinoma Mall to meet up with him (our first time to see each other after two years). I didn’t hurry since I know he would not show up on time.

And I’m definitely right. We weren’t able to leave immediately since we had to buy him board shorts and belt. It was already late afternoon when finally we boarded a Victory Liner bus in Caloocan. We left Manila at 6:30 pm with hopes that we would arrive in Subic after three hours- which later lead to him blaming me for that wrong information, heh.

We arrived at Victory Liner Olongapo terminal at around 9:30 pm, and as instructed, we took a jeep bound to Subic. We had no idea how far Subic is from Olongapo. We only got the idea it isn’t near because we had to pay P18 each. Castel, my feeling gwapo brother (who knows, he might read this, hehe) started to get annoyed since we’re gonna have to travel again. We were instructed to take a tricycle ride to Costa Malaga where our distinguished alumnus Jun Ylagan III has a house which he volunteered to be this year’s venue. We had no idea where to get off from the jeep. I just had to observe where this one passenger who’s also supposed to go to Subic (as he said), would alight the vehicle. When the driver pulled over for that passenger to exit, that was only time we remembered asking the driver where the tricycles going to Club Morroco are. “Nalampasan na natin,” he answered.

Castel is now seriously annoyed. We rode the same jeep going back and just asked the driver to drop us to the tricycle terminal. When we learned that it will take us at least P300 to go to the exact venue, we hurriedly called for some people to fetch us in Subic. It hurts to learn that we paid the fare from Manila to Olongapo is P210 and we had to pay P300 or more to transfer from a place in Subic to another. Good thing the residents hired vans which they used to fetch us.

We missed all the activities but managed to catch the fellowship drinking session, a staple in every Gamma Pi gathering. Remorseful I was but I could no longer pull back the time. Even though the fellowship always summarizes it all, we still missed the activities. It’s the essence of the event because that’s the time residents get to bond with the alumni in a non-alcoholic way.

Here’s what we missed:

Games (and the pool party and drinking session prior to this)


Dinner (we ate once we arrived but still, we missed eating with these bunch of people)

Program (which equates to half the fun of the whole celebration)


When we arrived at Aplaya del Resort in Costa Malaga, people were already dispersed. The young ones are out drinking and singing at the videoke while some of the older ones are inside the hut. I was somehow overwhelmed by the number of the alumni present at the event. Compared to the past anniversary celebrations I had attended when I was still a resident member, more senior alumni were able to attend this time. Maybe because of the proximity of the location for this year's celebration.

After being acknowledged by seniors and some short talks, I felt like going to the water. I asked the residents if we could take a dip at the sea since the main reason why we were that late was the fact that it took us so long to purchase board shorts. Only to my disappointment, they said that the water is not suitable for swimming because it the water was browned by heavy downpour and some ongoing construction in the nearby area. I wanted to see it for myself so I went with some brothers and sisters who were gonna get somebody who's already drunk and lying at the shore. The water was calm and it seems shallow, just perfect for dipping. I just went to wash my feet and feel the Subic water for the first time. Aside from the light coming from the hut, there were no lighting around the area. But at least you could see a queue of yellow lights from the neighboring islands and towns across the water.

We tried to wake her up but the sister was so drunk we just decided to carry her to the van. I followed the brothers while carrying her but I detoured to the hut where people are having a blast.






The event's theme is supposedly Hawaiian pero buti na lang di na ako nag-effort magbihis dahil ang Hawaiian party ay naging Kawayan Party. :p

As usual, alcohol was overflowing. One of those times when you'd question why you've joined the organization in the first place, heh. The senior alumni got this super high tolerance when it comes to alcohol. They don't get drunk easily I tell you. Lately, for some reasons, I refrained from drinking and I intended to continue doing do. Good thing I'm already an alumna giving me more guts to decline shots. Haha.

Plenty bottles of Ginebra Premium, Red Horse beer, a bottle of Double Black Label, plus the host brother Jun Ylagan later in the evening brought out a box containing bottles of Blue Label, Green Label, Gold label and Black Label fresh from Thailand. According to him, Blue label is the only alcohol former President Joseph Estrada drinks. I had a sip of each just to have a taste of what the rich people drink.

At one point, we started a bonfire, but just when the wet logs finally caught fire, it rained. We were supposed to grill hotdogs. By this time, most people were already drunk and the residents started owning the videoke machine.

I am proud to say I was not even close to being tipsy at that event. I grew sleepy at around 3 a.m. and went to the van and struggled for a nap while most of the residents and some alumni are still singing and drinking. I hardly slept since every now and then people would knock at the windows, open the door, sleep and then goes out again. It was 5:30 a.m when finally the residents instructed the drivers to drive us to Villa Sevilla where we would finally take a real sleep. It was raining hard but I considered going swimming if the water will be cleared.

The house was a five-minute drive from Aplaya del Resort. The residents are supposed to stay at Brod Jun's house, the blue house as they call while the alumni are checked in at Villa Sevilla, just few meters away. It would've been better if there was extra space for us at the Villa becuase the rooms are air-conditioned, but then there was none so together with a senior alumna, we had to go to the Blue house. I really had this urge to go out and go swimming or at least take photos of the morning sea but everyone seemed drained already. I then just went to bed.

It was barely 30 minutes after I closed my eyes when my phone rang. An unfamiliar number registered at the screen, I knew it was Kuki since he's the only one expected to come. I gave him directions and tried to go to back to sleep but he kept texting and calling. I then just went to fetch him in Subic.

We planned to go swimming at the sea but the water was really unsuitable for swimming and we weren't sure if we could swim at the Villa pool since we heard it's not of free use if you're not checked in.




After lunch, the senior alumni started leaving. The residents offered a free one way ride for those who would want to go to Baguio and I almost joined if not for that storm that just passed. Kuki, Castell and I opted to go with Brod Argell who drives his pick-up plus the rest of the gang since they're bound to Manila, too. But then we withdrew when we learned that they're dropping by San Felipe to go surfing before heading back to Manila.

Then brod Jun offered to take us with him to Manila in his Lexus. Geez, who would turn down that invitation? Haha! Well, not us who got more excited when we receive envious comments from others, heh.

Before going out of the village, Brod Jun toured us around Club Morocco. If only we had the means to rent the place for the celebration, it was way lovelier. Anyway, perhaps we could do so some other time.


We were all sleepy during the ride, including Brod Jun that he decided to drop by San Fernando, Pampanga for a snack break at Shakey's and supposedly to take a nap.


Definitely a weekend full of fun, fun fun and love, love, love. Fly high Gamma Pi!

Popular Posts