Just Another Attempt at Sobriety

I'm avoiding blogging another entry under the Drinking Sessions category, but I find it difficult given the kind of lifestyle I have. If you've been tolerant enough to read my posts about my extreme drinking habit, maybe you know that I am such a drunkard. Well, before.

I stated in one of my entries how Manila had become my rehab center. It's true. Not drinking in quite a long time (one month is long for me) was the reason for the trajectory of my alcohol tolerance. I accepted it thinking it could be the sign that I quit alcohol, for good.

For several times, I did try quitting alcohol. I always want to but it's just so hard, especially with the kind of friends I have. I quit for some time but I kept coming back.

I had my first taste of alcohol when I was in elementary. It was Red Horse Beer, which became my favorite. (I call it my first love.) Both my parents drink, and later my older brother, too. I grew up in a place where almost everyone drinks. So it was kinda not surprising that one day I'll be a drinker, too.

Come high school, I was tagged by my friends as tanggera. I think I earned the title for being present in every party thrown by a friend or classmate. Me in a party almost always means there'll be alcohol. I was even referred to as Red Horse girl because sometimes I prefer to drink only Red Horse.

But my parents never saw me drink (until now). I'm pretty sure they know I drink because sometimes I go home smelling of alcohol but I never heard a word from them. They're cool with it I think. My mother would even ask me to join her and her friends when drinking at home. There was this one time she was forcing me to go drinking socialize with my cousins. I don't know, it's just that I'm not yet comfortable with the thought of drinking with my parents around. Although sometimes, I manage to take a sip or a glass of wine or beer. Basta not too much alcohol when they're around. By the way I always wanted a family picture taken with each of us holding our own brand of booze. That would be perfect! lol

Thanks to Baguio City and for my fine talent in choosing organizations, I totally surrendered myself to notorious drinking. But wait, there is this momentarily event in my college life when I totally banned alcohol out of my life. When I joined the Youth for Christ, I pledged for the 0% alcohol program and totally turned my back on alcohol. It lasted for a semester. Matagal din yun ah.

This was the reason why when I passed the membership training in my sorority, I had embraced a new identity- an Irish who's timid, non-drinking, non-smoking and other nice things I wasn't before. But many thanks to my sorority, after few more months, I was back to the old track. I never put the blame on them, if there's somebody to blame for my behavior, it is me. It was my choice after all. I can make excuses to avoid drinking but I enjoyed being with them, and being with them without alcohol involved is just too dull. It was our way of life.

My drinking philosophy is that when you drink, enjoy the heck out of it! The taste of alcohol was never pleasant and hangover was hell another story, but while you're at it, just enjoy. You drink until you drop. Just don't make stupid stuff while under the influence of alcohol, which happens a lot. Gah, this is one of my pet peeves. Although I later learned appreciating the idea since it gives spontaneity and adventure to every drinking session. Boring ang inuman na walang nalalasing at gumagawa ng eksena, haha!

So there it is. My life was a limbo of quitting and drinking again. I wanted to do it slowly though, like once a month, once in two months until my body no longer craves for alcohol. Sure I am open to the idea of social drinking and by social drinking I mean drinking only in inevitable situations such as in parties, and just a bit of alcohol for that matter. I managed to do this during the anniversary at Subic. :D

Okay so for my friends I know this will just be another quitting story from my kaartehan. I am doing it again, trying to quit I mean. This is because of yesterday's inuman with some friends. I've had one of the most embarrassing moments ever, throwing up right infront of my friends. This one will forever be tagged on me because they never saw me that drunk before. Also, I want to quit for health reasons.

So help me God and friends.

Popular Posts