A Peek Into My Life In UP

I saw this note from one of my Facebook contacts' notes. While going through it, I can't help but smile and reminisce my life in UP Baguio. I started answering but then I noticed just putting plain Xs on the boxes is not enough to share my experiences. So I decided to just copy-paste it and add comments.

Just mark X the ones that applied to you when you studied at UP Baguio.

[] Accompanied by parent/s during enrollment. >This is one of the things I get bitter remembering. My mother went with me to Baguio but she went back home a day before our actual admission. I was a stranger in Baguio and there is only my cousin, who is younger than me, whom I can turn to for help or whatever.  I just had to insist on my mind that my mother is confident that I could do things on my own.

[X] Enrolled alone. Sought the help of UPPFs. >UP Peer Facilitators, the guys in yellow really helped.

[X] Took random classes just to fill the required units. >I had an adviser but I don't remember I was told to get particular courses so I just had to chose which sounded good based on the course titles.

[X] Wondered where room TBA is. >During the first day of classes, I actually asked someone where room TBA is. Stupid me. :p

[X] Worried about getting bullied by fratmen or getting killed in a riot. >Yes. All those stereotypes.

[] Got bullied by fratmen or was involved in a riot.

[] Witnessed a riot.

[X] Got invited or pursued by a sorority or fraternity. >Proud member of Alpha Phi Omega Gamma Pi Chapter.

[X] Joined an org/frat/soro. >During my freshman year, I joined a performing org and a religious org aside from my default orgs, Breha and PIC. Yes, I wasn't looking for belongingness.

[X] Is active in your org.

[X] Found a tambayan. >Two.

[] Was tricked as a freshman into attending a rally/prayer meeting.

[] Tambay kay Manang Mane. >Suki lang, hindi tambay.

[X] Tambay kay Manong Balls/Manang Yosi/S-Park. >To eat streetfood and just to hang out with friends and brods and sisses. I have issues being seen smoking at Sunshine Park.

[X] Subsisted on just streetfood (fishballs, footlongs, kwekwek, squidballs, mais, dirty ice cream) for a day/days.

[X] Ate noodles, pancit canton, junk foods for days. >Noodles is Breha's staple food. I lose tons of brain cells while in UP.

[] Struck up a conversation with a taong grasa.

[X] Ate at Manang Pats. >I have a funny story the second time I went to this place to eat.

[X] Had a taste of Upper Canteen's infamous Banana Q and Delroe's burger.

[X] Tried one of Joystick's out-of-this-world ulams. >The food could look really good when presented add the out of this world names. Don't be fooled. :p Pero tambayan namin yun.

[X] Made friends with a teacher/s.

[X] Got an activist for a teacher/s.

[X] Had a crush on a teacher/s.

[] Had a teacher who had a crush on/tried to court you.

[X] Had a professor who goes out of the class to smoke every now and then.

[] Was an RA (registration assistant) or SA (student assistant).

[X] Lied or begged to an RA for a slot in class.

[X] Participated in a there's-only-one-more-slot-are you-feeling-lucky?

[X] Went to a Freshman night. >I watched all four Freshman Night events in my four year stay at UP.

[X] Wore red or black on one of those wear red or wear black days.

[] Wore red on Valentine’s Day.

[X] Wore black on Valentine's Day. >Once. Almost everyone in class wore black.

[] Got sung to or sung to someone in class during Valentine's day.

[X] Received/Sent flowers on Valentines Day. >Both. I sent flowers to a teacher-crush, actually, it wasn't me who did. A sister picked a small white flower from a bush right down the Oblation and then instructed an applicant to give it to one of my teacher crushes. The next day, I learned from another sister that it was the last of five that the teacher received, according to him.

[] Celebrated a birthday at a tambayan. >My birthday always fell on vacation.

[X] Jogged around the campus. >It was around 8 p.m. Sorority application days. I jogged at first then later walked where there were no people watching.

[X] Knew at least one xerox lady, manong, or technician by name.

[] Practiced those UP cheers in the first meeting for PE class.

[X] Watched a UP vs. any school basketball game and watched them lose. >Just one time, and on television. Just curious on how a blocmate would play after that hardcore drinking the night before.

[] Went to the gym in spite of having no PE class just to ogle varsity players.

[] Attended a varsity pep rally.

[] Caught the UP Pep tryouts.

[X] Studied in the woods. >Though I don't remember doing serious studying in the woods.

[] Studied in McDonald's Session for one full night and bought just one regular-sized drink.

[X] Slept in the lib. >Not once, not twice, not thrice. Most of my long stay at the library were spent taking a naps. The silence makes it a perfect place for sleeping. Lulzzz.

[X] Looked at microfilms in the library or poked through archives. >Kinarir ang PI100.

[X] Went to a library other than your own university's to research. >Baguio City library along Burnham Park. I liked the free internet.

[X] Actually read the book you keep borrowing from the lib.

[X] Borrowed books from the lib na hindi rin babasahin. >What's even worse, forgetting to return it before the due date.

[X] Lost a perfectly functioning umbrella. >Karma. I used to keep 'lost' umbrellas, especially the branded ones.

[X] Treated bluebooks as treasures.

[] Considered Leithold's book as a bible.

[] Wrote to/for the campus paper.

[X] Seriously pondered about the identity/ies of the people described in Eksenang Peyups.

[X] Attended a mass in the school.

[] Learned how to smoke and/or drink.

[X] Promised to quit smoking/drinking.

[X] Played cards during your free time.

[] Cut class with your block to watch a movie.

[X] Cut class to go out drinking.

[X] Went on an out-of-town trip with blockmates or orgmates.

[X] Fell in love.

[] Dated someone from UP.

[] Got a boyfriend/girlfriend.

[X] Dressed in business attire for reporting/other activities.

[] Sumabit sa jeep.

[] Helped out a total stranger.

[] Helped out a total stranger because he/she was hot.

[X] Learned to stay awake for more than 24 or 48 hours straight.

[X] Went to school in your crappiest yet most comfy clothes.

[X] Went to school drunk.

[X] Attended class with a hangover. >Kesa naman umabsent.

[X] Drank beer or alcohol while inside UP grounds.

[X] Went drinking at Kanem/Kalapaw/Kubong Sawali, etc.

[] Took Monday/Saturday classes willingly.

[X] Volunteered for the Pahinungod, Gawad Kalinga, etc.

[X] Took time to read the vandalism in the CR.

[X] Watched a sexy art film for any GE class.

[] Got held up or pickpocketed. >Lost my trusty 3315 phone one time I went to the terminal to get a package. 

[X] Felt depressed because you were not as good academically as you were in high school. >I think most UP students do.

[] Had spent a lot for 1x1 ID pictures.

[X] Got exempted from final exams. >Once, in Math1. Ironically, I received INC as grade due to miscommunication with groupmates for final project.

[] Got exempted from a final exam but still took it.

[X] Did a last minute paper. >Cramming is a skill many UP students possess.

[X] Finished a homework/assignment/paper in the classroom at that same day of submission. >I was used to doing it.

[X] Got into at least one (org- or council-sponsored) adventure race. >I love adventure race!

[X] Knew where the best restrooms are on campus.

[X] Took a PE class para lang pampalipas ng oras for the last sem. >Archery even left a scar on my left arm. And it's not pampalipas-oras, I was just so epal to enroll it having a full-load for the last semester.

[X] Took summer classes. >Mainly to experience summer in Baguio. And secondly, to finish some units so I could graduate on time. :p

[X] Admired the Oblation.

[X] Had a photo infront of the Oblation. >I never believed in the 'curse' that taking photo/s infront of Oblation will prevent me from graduating on time.

[X] Made a video for a project.

[X] Faked sickness to get absent. >Mastered the art of getting a medical certificate by faking sickness.

[X] Used your 6 allowable absences wisely. >In just one subject during my senior year- a 7 a.m. major class in second semester. Dude this is suicide, especially for someone who's sleepyhead and sensitive to coldness. I just had no choice since that was the only class for that major course.

[X] Not used up all 6 allowable absences. >I rarely get absent- something I can be proud of.

[] Maxed out on the 6 allowed unexcused absences but DID NOT drop.

[X] Dropped classes. >I was advised to drop, and so with some of my classmates. And I did drop. The next semester, I found out that I was the only one who dropped and everyone else passed.

[X] Learned how to use the Bayantel pay phones.

[X] Participated in school activities.

[X] Walked from your house to the campus.

[] Learned how to beg for a higher grade.

[] Volunteered to be beadle or go-to guy for your group/class.

[X] Had groupmates from hell.

[X] Learned how to work with groupmates from hell.

[X] Had the worst schedule.

[] Attended an ACLE.

[X] Sold tickets for (or watch) an org-sponsored movie premiere.

[X] Saved money to photocopy all of your seatmate's notes. >I prefer to focus on listening, afterall, I could borrow notes later, heh. The truth is, I was always lazy to take notes and I don't write that fast.

[X] Slept in class.

[X] Slept during an exam.

[X] Had mountains of unread photocopied readings.

[X] Resolved to be "better this semester."

[] Perfected the art of parking on campus.

[] Had a bad encounter with one of the guards on campus.

[X] Reserved a classroom, AVR, etc. for a class or org function

[X] Walked all the way to Session Road from UP.

[X] Had a pair of Chuck Taylor that haven't been washed for at least one month. >In UP, the dirtier the Chucks are, the better the look.

[X] Wore slippers to school.

[X] Stole bluebooks. >I know how to effectively steal bluebooks.

[] Used consultation hours properly.

[] Went to the Guidance Office for real, heart-to-heart guidance.

[X] Watched Tagis-Lakas.

[] Joined Tagis-Lakas. >Almost.

[X] Watched the Oblation Run.

[] Watched the Lantern Parade and Pasiklaban. >I never experienced being an audience at the Lantern Parade, either I was part of the parade or I was somewhere else, doing something for other Pasiklaban events.

[X] Learned UP Naming Mahal.

[X] Attended graduation.

[X] And now, missing UPB big time. >BIG TIME.

Popular Posts