My De-stressing Food

While others would go for spa, massage or an out-of-town vacation to de-stress, I simply eat. I love food so much and I'm pretty sure among the 7 deadly sins, gluttony is the one I've committed the most. I'm sarreh. Masarap kumain eh.

I eat when I'm happy, I eat when I'm stressed out and I eat when I'm depressed. Well, this has been my life since I moved to Manila because when I was in Baguio, my solution to everything was not eating, but drinking. But this post is not just about me being matakaw. I wanna talk about my comfort foods or those foods that I eat when I'm stressed out.

I once read from a magazine that pretzels could actually help remove stress. Initially I thought that may be because of the chocolate which is said to affect the level of endorphins in the brain, lessening pain and decreasing stress, thus making people happy.

I am gullible so most of the time, I easily believe what I read, see or hear. So after reading about the pretzel stuff, the next time I went for the groceries, I bought lots of pretzels, the straight stick and the twirly one, and also tried different brands although in the end I preferred Jack 'n Jill Pretzels because aside from being cheap (coz I'm cheap), it's the one that's always available in sari-sari stores.

jacknjillpretzels

Being a student then, I was always almost stressed (partly from school matter and mainly from my organization), so I try stuff to relieve stress. My housemates began to wonder why I always had a stock of pretzels in my cupboard. When I told them it has de-stressing powers, most of them didn't believe me and rather said that the effect on me is psychological. Exactly! It worked that way for me.

And then there was Oishi Pillows, the chocolate-filled crackers. I ate Pillows whenever I needed to destress or whenever I need to calm myself down. Ionno, I came up with the explanation that I could be violent sometimes and Pillows has a different texture, the crackers are hard, it sort of became my way to release tension. I also read from a magazine how people's emotions and personalities could be determined by the food they eat.

I also got addicted to Milo. It was the food that accompanies me in all those cold nights that I had to stay up to write papers and finish other school requirements. Sometime in the middle of the night or at dawn when I can no longer think of anything, I'd get my jar of powdered Milo and eat from it. This thing may have started because of my friend Tinn who's so addicted to chocolates and she'd make papak sachets of Milo (that's so conyo).

As I said, when I moved to Manila, I began redirecting my attention to eating, and thus began my estrangement to unhealthy foods. I began eating more fruits and veggies. I preferred eating yogurt over chocolates. I dunno when did I really start being a health buff, not strictly straight health buff but I've seriously avoided lots of unhealthy food. Although when I was in Baguio, I could say that somehow I developed a liking with healthy food like tokwa, soya milk and veggies, Baguio veggies specifically.

So late last month, I started getting annoyed by almost every thing, especially at work. Friends advised me to loosen up, go out, drink up or go on a vacation and take drugs. Yes, I've got supportive friends. Well, I think I really need to refresh and regain my energy to get back my enthusiasm for work.

And since I can't have the luxury of going on a vacation just yet, I'll start with the food. I will eat all these stressors out!

Popular Posts