The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde


If you read some of my recent posts, then you know by now that I was reading this novel The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde. I was fascinated with the motion picture and I started reading through a website but decided to buy a physical copy just in case I may want to read it again in the future. So this is the first novel I've finished. The book I purchased includes other works by Oscar Wilde, which I shall read some other day. Hehe.

So basically, the book is about this young man Dorian Gray who trade his soul to the devil to retain his youthful while his portrait is ravaged by his sins.

I have zero knowledge in making a book review. So can I just say my opinion about the book?

Well, if you're into classical, this book suits you. It covers the 18th century England. And also if you're into arts, this book reveals so much about how people look up into arts in those times. And their philosophies are very interesting it will make you crave for more and more chapters.

I was surprised to discover how people back then put so much value into youth and beauty, yeah I know we still do, but theirs was a different level. Man and woman, rich or poor, they never fail to show fascination on beautiful things.

Reading the novel has been more enjoyable than just watching the film. I can't tell which is better, reading the book first before seeing the film or the other way around. They have different plots, well, at least most of the situations from the novel were altered for the film. I kinda like it that I saw the movie first because it's no longer difficult for me to create images in my mind as I already have faces for the characters. :D

Popular Posts