Pinikpikan

The first time I ever tasted Pinikpikan was way back in 2005, when I was a freshman in UP Baguio. Our block (PIC) prepared Pinikpikan and brown rice for Padigo, an annual event initiated by UPB Peer Facilitators that aims to gather Freshmen blocks in a short salo-salo. Each block must prepare a dish, preferably something from the region where most of the students in a block came from. We came out with the menu since most of us are from the Cordilleras.

I never witnessed saw how Pinikpikan is made but I heard the chicken is repeatedly beaten to death and then cooked. The blood clotted on its surface is said to improve the taste of the dish. This is why we referred to it as "battered chicken." :p

During my short trip to Tagaytay with friends last week, I finally saw how Pinikpikan's done. [Watch it on YouTube]






That's one of Mara's employees at their Ukay-Ukay shop in Tagaytay. Apparently, it was his birthday so he cooked some food.

So everybody's lazing on the bed when a suddenly we heard a sound of soft beating of something from the outside:

Random person: Ano yun?
Michelle: Baka pinikpikan.

I immediately got up and looked out of the window: Pinikpikan nga! (The things that amaze me.)

Popular Posts