18 Hours

Warning: Rant follows.

After 18 hours, I'm back to the busy streets of the metro. That was definitely the longest trip I've ever had. Normally, Cagayan to Manila is 13 hours but unfortunately, there had been some things that went along the way- the worst traffic jam along the boundary of Nueva Ecija and Bulacan and a broken clutch and brake.

I knew some things would mess up the moment the bus left Aparri an hour late. That would mean arriving in Manila late and having to battle with the rush hour. I noticed the air conditioning inside the bus was not the usual freezing cold. I don't have any problem with that but heck I was prepared with the icy cold air. The answer was there hanging in front of the bus, it says "Regular Fare." I don't know what went wrong but last week, I paid P700 for a de luxe trip home. De luxe means the bus has a comfort room (which I never used). I usually have these rides because they take SCTEX which cuts hours of travel time. For my trip back to the metro I paid P650 and it was a regular one, meaning it will take the usual route, the longer one. And most probably, the bus may be one of the old ones.

Bad omen continues when we were leaving Tuguegarao and a motorcycle hit the front of the bus, or could be vice-versa but we never knew which was it because the motor driver ran away even before the bus driver went out to settle things. Somewhere in Isabela, I had to watch with the laptop to tire my eyes so I can sleep because they were not playing movies at the bus. Pampatulog ko yun eh. Oh, and one more kaya hirap ako makatulog, I'm not sure it it's the bus or the driver pero anlakas ng preno everytime. At midnight or something, naalimpungatan ako and I had to look out of the window to make sure we're not floating in the clouds. I had the wildest imagination you know. It's just weird that it seemed I was taking death so well at that moment. :p

Anyway, at around 4am, the bus went on a long stop. I preferred to sleep it off. In my subconscious I heard people were talking about an accident. May nagbanggaan daw somewhere in Bulacan, thus closing both lanes. At that unholy hour, who would fix the mess? We had to wait until the road was cleared out. Literally, every 10-15 minutes, the vehicles moved only a meter or less. I observed it having nothing to do when I can no longer get back to sleep. Thanks to that noisy noisy woman who kept bugging the driver and passengers about anything. In San Miguel, the brake needed to be fixed. The man seated behind me said that earlier, it was the clutch that was broken and jokes that maybe the steering wheel will break next. :p


I messaged my manager that I can no longer make it to work because who knows what time will we arrive at Sampaloc. Better absent than late, lololol, tamad!

A gentle breeze welcomes me as I step out the bus. Kidding. Today was like the hottest day ever. My room was hot as hell but I had no other place to lie down to. It was like sleeping on a mattress with a burning coal underneath. I had to wake up and take a bath when I can no longer take the heat. Still I managed to doze off for three hours. What a sleepyhead. I guess I can now appreciate the air conditioning at the office.

I'm now beginning to miss my hometown (which is also a hot place but at least there were open spaces, rice and cornfields and trees that gives air) and of course, home, where meals are prepared for me. :p

Popular Posts