Something Not to Joke About

April 1st. April Fool's Day. Ever pulled prank on your friends and family? I tried once and it didn't have favorable results.

The DJ was reading responses from listeners about their April 1 gimmicks. One of them caught my ears and it says: He once told his parents he's gonna have a child. His parents didn't take it well.

That same thing happened to me five years back.

It was the end of second semester on my freshman year at UP. My cousin had to leave for Cagayan few days earlier. We always went home together but I still had some things to do so I had to be left behind. I told to tell our friends I'm pregnant that is why I'm not coming home, it's like our April Fool's prank just in case she sees them when she gets home. The thing is, when she got home and her family asked why we weren't together, she said "Basta ikagi kanu nga mabussi yaya." (She just told me she's pregnant.) And boom goes the gossip.

The day I got home, I noticed something weird going on when my mother fetched me from the plaza. First, she didn't let me carry my bags and at home, she told me to sleep, rest, eat when I'm hungry, but never leave the house until she's in in the afternoon.

So I slept, woke up, had lunch and went back to sleep again. I woke up at around 3pm and even without having my faced washed, there went my mother confronting me about "my pregnancy." I was seated at the bed and after hearing her introduction, I laughed and asked where did the news come from. Apparently, it was a miscommunication between me and my cousin. The joke was supposedly for our friends only, you know, the people who'd get if it's a joke or not. I explained to mother about the joke and yeah, she didn't believe me immediately. Maybe it's really obvious that I didn't have a boyfriend whatsoever, so she was eventually convinced. On the other hand, father and brother had a hard time believing my story.

So that's it, as the DJ said, never ever joke about such things because these are serious matters. Be careful on receiving news and don't trust anybody today. :D

Popular Posts