A Taste of Cebu at Night


I went to Cebu on an impulse, tagging along with a friend who tagged along with a friend who's travelling with a bunch of her friends. While it is great to travel with buddies, travelling with strangers is just as exciting.

Seriously though, I just took the definition of being kaladkarin to a new level. I don’t know what dawned upon me when I said yes to Dona's invitation for a 5-day out of town trip. Good thing, my supervisor allowed me to take a leave from work for 3 days despite the short notice.

Our flight was scheduled at 4:10 p.m., Saturday and I still got a work that day so I had to go to the office extra-early. Unfortunate things started to happen as early as 5 a.m. and I ended up logging in at around 5:30 a.m. I almost didn’t make it to my flight. I arrived at the airport barely 30 minutes before departure and the counter was already closed but thank goodness they allowed me to check-in. I got in. My words for Dona: Kinabahan ka 'no, kasi ako di kinabahan. Sobrang malas ko naman kung maiiwan ako ng eroplano. Our flight was delayed for 15 minutes anyway.

We arrived at Mactan Airport by 6 p.m. and commuted all the way to SM to meet up with Vera, Dona’s friend. (I met Vera earlier this year at Michelle’s birthday dinner.) I really have no idea about the itinerary and I did not bother to ask so I just went along with whatever was happening. We had snacks and then met up with Vera’s friend’s parents who are from the city. Apparently, their son, Vera’s coach in Taekwondo, was still asleep so they decided to see Vera even without him. These people are one helluva cool parents.

From SM, Moms and Dads (the parents) went with us to see the place where we’ll be staying (at Vera’s friend’s boarding house in PC Hills) where Vera’s friend Cat, who coincidentally had a business trip in Cebu at that time, currently stays. Their friend Simeon was not around but according to Vera, he’s aware that we’re gonna stay in his room for 2 days.

At around 9 p.m., we went out for dinner. Cat was supposed to meet up with her brother but we were introduced to her friends instead, who were already drinking at Ilaputi. Next thing I know, were already drinking with them. A little later, we transferred to another place--a bigger bar called Tonyo’s. Since it seemed we’ll be staying a little longer than expected, my friends and I decided to dine first, before joining the group for drinks.



Even after eating, Dona and I didn't gain much energy. Thank goodness Vera was so good at socializing. After finishing the two beer towers, our companions still want more. I was really sleepy (I only had 3 hours of sleep the night before) but our new-found friends had been so nice we decided to join them. They took us to One Mango, where there are more watering holes. Dona and I are both wearing flip-flops (okay, tsinelas) but we managed to get in to the club, thanks to connections. Merlo, a friend of Cat’s knows the owner of this new club, Alchology, and we were even given discount at the entrance. Borgy Manotoc was there at that time.


We were supposed to stay for only 30 minutes but it turned out we enjoyed ourselves, too so we stayed a bit longer. Dona, Vera and I got home at around 4 a.m. while Cat stayed behind and they transferred to another bar. Oh, to be young and full of energy.

Popular Posts