When Cagayan Feels Like Baguio

Even before my trip home, friends already informed me about the kind of weather I'd be coming home to. I know I shouldn't be surprised, but it seemed I still was. Kasla agdadamu (like a first-timer). Maybe because for the past 11 years, I lived out of the province and was only home during the holidays and vacations.

As far as I remember, December in Cagayan had always been rainy or at least windy cold. It’s the jacket and pajamas time of the year.

As a teenager, going to Misa de Gallo was challenging. Actually, it's the preparation that is–taking a shower with icy cold water and walking or taking the ride to the church. It's always warm inside the church though, kaya masarap matulog, haha.

So I expected a wet Christmas this year, just like last year when I had a misadventure before making it home. Indeed it was raining in some parts of the province. Once at home, I started commenting about how cold and windy it is. It’s like I’m in Baguio. Nasanay na ako sa weather ng Manila na kahit bumabagyo, you won't still need a jacket kasi di mahangin man, di naman icy cold ang temperature. These are the times na ayoko lumabas ng bahay, gusto ko lang forever sa loob ng bahay, nakabalot ng wool na kumot, habang kumakain, nanood, o nagbabasa.

Anyway, yun lang talaga ang gusto kong sabihin, na para lang din akong nasa Baguio ngayon. I should really be in Baguio in the 28th for a friend’s wedding but I decided not to go since I only got 10 days to spend with the family and I only come home twice or thrice a year, so there, kelangan ko naman bumawi  kasi sigurado in the next days, nasa labas na naman ako with friends.

Anyway, enjoy na lang ang mala-Baguio na weather. In the first place, Christmas is best served cold. Merry Christmas everyone!

Popular Posts