Rock in Peace Karl Roy

Karl Roy (Photography by Tom Epperson)
Rest is peace Karl Roy. God is probably headbanging right now.

This is the first news I heard today. I was just out of bed, consciousness barely awake, right after going downstairs to prepare myself for another day's work, from the bathroom I heard the reporter say, Rock icon Karl Roy passed away early Tuesday morning.

Siyempre nagising ako agad, thinking baka mali yung narinig ko. Pero sa dulo ng report ay binanggit ang pangalan ng mga kapatid niya. So yun, hanggang biyahe papuntang opisina, iniisip ko na pagdating na pagdating ko tatanungin ko si Marco kung totoo ba yun. Just last night, or probably kaninang madaling-araw, I dreamt of Karl Roy. I kid you not. He was in my dream.

In my dream, Ebe Dancel, his former band Sugarfree to be specific, was shooting a music video. I was there, di ko lang maalala kung anong ginagawa ko dun. The setting was somewhere in the rural –may kalsada tapos maraming puno sa paligid at walang mga sasakyan na dumadaan. May ilan-ilang taong dumadaan at nag-comment pa nga ako, buti na lang hindi sila pinagkakaguluhan (referring to hte musicians).

Like every dream, I can't remember the sequence, pero andun din si Vin Dancel and at one point andun si Karl Roy (parang dumaan sa shoot or something). Things got weirder when (in my dreams) I learned that Ebe, Vin and Karl were brothers, biologically. Of course I asked them if it was true, sabi nga nila magkakapatid daw sila, si Karl ang panganay tapos stage name niya lang yung Karl Roy. Marami pa silang magkakapatid dun eh, Dancel sila lahat. Tapos may kubo, sa loob nun naka-hang yung framed photos nilang magkakapatid. And that's the extent of what I remember.

Tapos pagbukas ko ng Twitter pagdating sa opisina, unang bumungad sakin ang tweet ni Ebe tungkol sa pagpanaw ni Karl.

Di ako maka-get over. I'm not the biggest fan but I like the music of P.O.T. and Kapatid. Why who can resist dancing to the groovy "Yugyugan Na" or singing along with "Panaginip"? These past weeks, I've been meaning to catch one of their gigs in Malate pero di lang ako nagkaroon ng chance kasi walang makasama. Now I'll never get to see The Karl Roy and his electrifying performance as they say.

It's Tuesday morning and the heavens cried to mourn the passing away of a great musician. You will be forever remembered Karl Roy. Rock the heavens kapatid!





---
Karl Roy is a Filipino funk and rock music icon and frontman of Advent Call, Kapatid and P.O.T.

Popular Posts