The Happiest Days of My Life

...took place during that time I was unemployed and broke. I was survived by friends. How did it came to this?

I chose to stay in Baguio right after graduation. Mom would've wanted me to go and find luck in Manila but I was so attached with Baguio I didn't want to leave. Middle of April, I started sending out resumes to various companies. I know it would be difficult to find a work as most of the job postings I encountered required 'experience' (Yah I know, how in the world can we ever gain experience if they don't hire us, right?). Coming out fresh from the university, I was all idealistic and optimistic. Damn, I finished a degree in Communication at the University of the Philippines. The school alone can get me any job that I want. LOL everything they said about UP graduates being preferred by most companies is wrong, at least in Baguio, where the school one graduated from never really mattered.

The first ever job interview I went to was for Sky Cable, for Account Executive post. I was hired but I never followed up, didn't go to the training and all. One other establishment showed interest in what I can do for them despite the fact that I lack qualifications. But then I was overflowing with stupidity and turned them down. I tried out in many other companies but always got rejected.

Well, I had a part-time job, teaching English to Japanese students online but even if it's home-based, I still lacked discipline to do good with the work. I stayed at Kuki's house and used his computer and Internet and there were times when our other friends would come over and drink...so there. Two of my life's biggest events even happened during this era, as a result of too much drinking, but that deserves a different entry, hehe.

Well, that's all I could do wanna do to make my life less miserable. Spent most of my days and nights drinking with friends, for free. I unemployed, broke but too shy to ask my parents for money. But I managed to earn enough guts to ask them for money I was supposed to use for the purchase of a laptop for my online job. But I didn't buy that laptop and just went on with my life...this time with money in my pocket.

End of May I was already desperate to land a job- any job for that matter. Just so I can stay in Baguio. My parents were already telling me to go home in Cagayan.

And then there was this BPO company mass recruiting because they are opening a new account. I got in because they weren't really strict on the recruitment process, they need people, eh. But I only lasted for 8 days. I didn't even get to finish the 15-day training period. Oh, did I ever mention I was also accepted to train for a local paper in the city, overlapping with the call center job. I reported to them for like two weeks. I got too exhausted I decided to quit both of them.

I reached the point where I no longer give a damn. At this point, wala na akong gustong gawin kundi tumambay lang. Thank God for friends. I moved out of the boarding house (walang pambayad ng rent) and stayed at a friend's house instead (libre lang).

This was when the most awesome days of my life happened. I was then with four other people. That one week in the middle of June when all we cared was where to eat, what to eat, where to drink, what to drink, what to watch. Wake up at 1pm, look for something to eat, then watch movies/series, once the dark falls, get out of the house, look for a place to drink/buy booze and drinks at home. What a life. Iniisip niyo siguro napakawalang-kwentang buhay, pero masaya. Mababaw lang talaga ako. Life's simple pleasures, okay na ako.

Too bad all good things come to an end.

I just wanna be happy again.

Popular Posts