Nangaramoan's Charm


I could've spent the long weekend either in Calaguas or CamSur, and probably didn't miss Manila Music Festival had I decided not to go home for a friend's wedding. But I'm glad I chose to attend the wedding because I would've missed lots of fun, and I wouldn't have been in this piece of paradise that is Nangaramoan Beach, located somewhere in the tails of Sta. Ana, Cagayan.

It's a shame how I've been to different regions all over the country but when it comes to my home province, I am almost a stranger. There are lots of beautiful spots in Cagayan but I just didn't have the opportunity and the money, of course. I guess I'll try to make it up now before everything gets abused. I'm being realistic. This is almost always the case in burgeoning tourist spots.

After that incident in 2005, when our youngest drowned in Tallag Beach in Gonzaga, Cagayan, my parents never allowed me and my older brother to go to the beach again. I went to Baguio for college so I managed to sneak in to the beach every now and then without my parents knowing. This is our first trip to the beach as a family since that fateful day. I don't know how I convinced my mother to go. I know she's still traumatized but she gave in to my plea. Maybe because I was paying for the trip, and she knows how walay (wanderer) I am. I kept hearing about this Anguib beach, which is also referred to as the "Boracay of the North" and I felt like I am the only one in our neighborhood who's never been there.

We started the road trip at around 5:20 am and reached our destination at half-past 7. But first, we got lost and randomly found ourselves at the port going to Palaui Island. Our driver has never been to this part of Sta. Ana and our companions who've been to Anguib beach couldn't remember the directions as well. I myself mistook the signage at the entrance of the road to Anguib for an advertisement.

Going to Anguib is just like going to Pagudpud--you'll have to take a long, winding road in the mountains for about 20 minutes. Good thing the road is already concrete. How fast things change because those who've been there said that in 2011, it used to be a bumpy dirt road. The Enriles who own a resort in Anguib must be responsible for this. I like the comfort but somehow I missed going through bumpy and dusty roads that eventually ends with a sight of the blue water that seem to be never-ending.  And then you'll be all amused that a place like that exists behind the mountains. Maybe it's the sense of adventure that comes with it.

Pozu Rubo Beach
There is hardly any signage along the way so we just followed the main road that lead us to a dead end, the Pozu Rubo Beach. The beach is empty when we arrived. The non-first timers said it isn't Anguib so we climbed back in search for Anguib beach. If I was with friends, I would've preferred Pozu Rubo Cove for its isolation but the oldies wanted somewhere there are more people.

When we saw a road with an arrow pointing to the beach and a sign that says "Golden Beach" we took it without hesitation. This is the one we ignored earlier because we thought the beach at sight has no shores. Still, it's not the Anguib Beach we're aiming for but we settled for it since we were captivated by this breathtaking scene. We wasted no time and plunged in.


Nangaramoan is no Boracay like what some people claim. The sand is off white but not powdery. It's actually more like Pagudpud. But what sets Nangaramoan apart from the other beaches I've been to is the 200 meter stillwater before the surf. It's like a huge pool spared by the waves for the people to enjoy. I wanted to go to that part where the stillwater kisses the surf but I retreated when I reached the middle because I'm not allowed to go to a distance my parents think is already far.







At the bottom of the water is a lush patch seaweeds, a sight that makes snorkeling even lovelier. Even at the shallow parts of the beach, you can see starfish and other colorful species of fish. There are stores in the area renting out snorkeling gears.


There are boats rented out for beach hopping at Php300 for 30 minutes.


If you get tired of swimming, you can play volleyball or just chill out at the cottages and sing your heart out at the videoke machines.



However, there are no hotels or resorts in the vicinity. To get a legit accommodation, you have to go to the main highway, a few kilometers drive. However, there are cottages by the beach where you can stay for a day or the night. This particular cottage costs Php400 and it has an attic where you can change clothes or sleep. Tents are also allowed in the place. Did I mention there's an electricity in the place? The caretakers has a store and there are bathrooms you can use for a fee.


I wanted to take as much photos as I can but I myself preferred to just relax and enjoy the water. As a matter of fact I stayed too long in the water my shoulders were badly burnt. That's the essence of this trip anyway. :)

~~~

How to get there:

Sta. Ana beaches are getting popular among beach lovers and backpackers. However, it's not easy getting there because the town is located at the northeastern tip of the Philippines. Sta. Ana is 4-5 hours aways from Tuguegarao City. Florida bus lines have daily trips to Sta. Ana. They have terminals in Cubao and Sampaloc. You may also take a broken trip by taking a bus bound for Tuguegarao (Victory Liner, Dalin, Ballesteros Bus Lines, Guardian Angels/Everlasting, Northstar). You can also get to Tuguegarao via air. Philippine Airlines and Cebu Pacific have daily flights to the city. From Tuguegarao, take a bus ride to Sta. Ana. 

From Sta. Ana (most probably you'll be dropped at the town commercial center), you can just ask the locals on how to get transportation going to Anguib. I don't know the particulars because for our trip, we hired a jeepney and paid a total of P2070 for the rent and the gas.

Popular Posts