Baby Talk

I hate baby talks.

I don't know why. But everytime I hear grown ups baby talking, I feel like punching them right smack in the face. Well,if someone from my circle baby talked infront of me, though, I try not to think of punching them, I tend to judge them.

Back in college, I even conducted a mini-research on why lovers tend to baby talk. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who claims this. If you happen to be in a relationship, observe yourself or your partner, you might not know it but most lovers tend to talk like babies when talking to each other.

Somebody said, because it's sweet. Yes, I get that. But sometimes, the baby talking crosses the border of being sweet to annoying. Okay, lang yung tawagin mong baby o bibi (exempted ang endearments sa classification ko ng annoying baby talks) yung partner mo pero kasi adults/malalaki na kayo, mag-usap kayo nang maayos.

I'm suddenly talking baby talks because last night, I watched this episode of How I Met Your Mother titles 'Baby Talk'. And I finally understood why I hate baby talks. Click here to read the plot.


So how was I enlightened? I'll let the HIMYM cast speak.
At MacLaren's
Robin: Could somebody please explain to me why the 'little girl act' works on men?
Barney: The long version or the short version?
Robin: Short version.
Barney: Short versiom: who's your daddy?
Robin: Uhhhhh (disgusted)
Lily: You know, would you think about that, that phrase is really creepy.
Marshall: No, it's not. It's fun! Watch this; hey, Lily, who's your daddy?
Lily: (laughs)
Robin: Uh, okay let me get this straight. In this scenario, because you make such sweet love to Lily, she's now your daughter.
Marshall: No, she's not my daughter. I'm just...her daddy.
Ted: Well, that is disgusting.
Robin: Exactly, it's all like the opposite, there is no way a guy can pick up a girl going around talking like a little boy.
Barney: Challenge accepted!
All: Ahh, nobody challenged you, blah blah blah...
~~~
Robin: Of all the women in New York, you had to go out with an 8-year old?
Ted: Not what it sounds like folks.
Robin: Ted, you know that I hate her. How could you go out on a date with this girl?
Ted: It wasn't a date. She came the apartment looking for you.
(Scene: Becky was at Ted and Robin's apartment, with some cookies, speaks to Ted in baby talk. Sees a spider and screams) 
Robin: Let me guess, she acted like a helpless little girl and you have to step in as the big strong man.
Ted: I don't know if that's totally true.
(Scene: Ted kills the spider and comforts Becky)
Ted: I held her tight, told her it's all gonna be okay.
~~~
Ted: Wow, I'm glad it's over. It was creepy watching Barney talk like a little kid.
Robin: Oh, but you find it irresistible when Becky does. I don't get it, the Ted that I went out with was attracted to the kind of woman who could use a steak knife without supervision.
Ted: Becky doesn't eat steak..blah blah blah...and more importantly, she makes me feel needed.
Robin: Needed? Huh! She makes training wheels feel needed.
Ted: Hey it's nice to feel needed and you know what, it's not a feeling guys get when they're out with you.
Robin: When we were dating, I didn't make you feel needed?
Ted: Come on, you always took charge of everything.
Robin: Does that really bother you?
Ted: Yah, it's nice to be needed.
~~~
At Barney's apartment
Robin: Hey, uhm, when we were dating, did I make you feel needed?
Barney: No, I didn't feel like you needed me at all.
Robin: That's what I thought. Uh, I'm sorry.
Barney: Wait, where are you go...that's a compliment! You're the least needy woman I've ever met. That's awesome! I mean no guy's gonna say, "who's your daddy?" to Robin Scherbatsky. You're your own daddy and mommy and blah blah blah. And that is what makes you the most amazing, strong, independent woman I ever banged. 

Thanks Barney. I usually receive the same adjectives from friends, no kidding. ;)

Popular Posts