NKOTBSB in Manila


It's been 24 hours already but I'm still on high. So this is what it's like to finally see the Backstreet Boys live. As a matter of fact, I'm playing BSB while writing this blog. What sorcery is this. I wonder how many days will these happy hormones last. NKTOBSB concert at MOA Arena last night was a indeed a blast.

Few weeks back I told Mara I wanted go to this concert, kahit GenAd lang but nobody's up so I set it aside. Then one day, Virge asked me to get her a coupon because Groupon's selling tickets for the concert at 50% off! Of course, we seized the opportunity.


On the day of the concert, I brought my huge ass camera with me but it wasn't allowed inside. I know it wasn't allowed, try lang baka makalusot. 😆 Pero hindi, so Mara's phone was all we got.



The show started at 8pm with this Filipino boyband V4th as the opening act. After their number, Donnie went onstage and we all thought the main event's gonna start, but as it turned out, he just introduced another front act, Jay-R and some Fil-Am rapper dude. I was starting to grow bored and sleepy (I'm lola), but it didn't really take long. At 9pm, the boys started the show with a grand entrance–the two groups singing and dancing while slowly spreading into the extended stage. Their first song was a mash-up of each band's original songs with elements from Coldplay's Viva La Vida. It was powerful I had goosebumps.




Instinctively,  my eyes searched for Nick (because who didn't have a crush on Nick??) and when I first laid eyes on his face I screamed my lungs out and buried my face in my friends shoulder, read: mamamatay sa kilig. Nick's still handsome as ever. I was so thrilled to see him performing just a few meters away from me. ❤ The Backstreet Boys singing and dancing right before my eyes. For years, I've only dreamed of seeing these guys perform live, and then they were finally there, in flesh. Good job, Irish. Your 9 year-old self would definitely be so proud and grateful. 😃  The Backstreet Boys may no longer be Boys, but they sure can still strut their stuff.
And there's your childhood love

Jordan Knight and Nick Carter came in pair and probably a lot of ovaries exploded. Nick's pelvic thrusts all throughout the concert must've caused huge damages as well. At ang kulit lang ni Nick, di siya mapakali. But it's totally not a bad thing to give your 110% in every performance. Howie is sooo damn fine, after all these years. The rest of the the Backstreet Boys also showed quirkiness. During the first part of the BSB performance, AJ wore a black vest with the words "Daddy To Be" printed at the back, and some time at the end of a number, he removed his pants, baring an animal print tights. And Brian, of course, he made this event extra special when at one point while they were on stage, on pause, with the audience settled/calmed, I was looking at Brian because he was facing our direction, threw an awkward "hi" at him because who knows he might just be looking straight at my direction, and to my surprise he smiled and waved back even imitating how I waved! 😁

Yung Brian moment ay before nitong number na 'to

What made this night even more fun-filled was the nostalgia it brought back. Most of the songs they performed were in my 'set list wish.' I didn't do any research on their set list for this tour so I was thrilled when most of the songs they performed were what I wanted to hear live.

One of the highlights of the concert was when the Backstreet Boys picked four girls to be with them on the stage, while they serenade them with "Ill Never Break Your Heart". Such lucky girls. (Although, while they were picking girls from the audience, I was kinda praying not to be picked because I am sure I am just going to be very awkward up there.) Nick picked a lovely girl, and he did what every girl wants a guy to do when serenading a girl. In other words, nilandi-landi niya, malamang kahit sinong nagka-crush sa kanya maiinggit. 😁

My friends and I were there for BSB, but I couldn't be happier to see the New Kids On the Block who were very popular to women a little older than us. They're already nearing their 40s but they still rocked the stage. Performance level pa rin ang mga kuya! Their singing, too, was so amazing. Joey McIntyre sure can still hit high notes. And can I just say that Jordan Knight was so gwapo and Joey was so cute. It's not surprising at all why they were a big deal to the ates/titas. They were pretty much like BSB or 'NSync or Westlife, only a bit older. I also need to mention Donnie Wahlberg's abs, dude whatup. Nilampaso niya yung mga BSB na younger pa. 😂



Aside from the fact that we didn't have a decent camera to take photos, we were also embittered when the person right beside me caught an autographed mini-poster of BSB, while the person behind Mara and Virge caught Nick's jacket. Puro kami almost. What is.

But despite those things, I consider this concert as the best one I've been so far. It's something you'd wish wouldn't end too soon. All those boybandness of the 90s and early 2000s suddenly came rushing back, and so with happy memories of years past. 

---

And oh, here's their set list:

Intro:
Single/The One Mash-Up in Viva La Vida elements

Summertime - NKOTB
The Call - BSB
Dirty Dancing - NKOTB
Get Down (You're the One for Me) - BSB
You Got It (The Right Stuff) - NKOTB
Larger Than Life - BSB

NKOTB
Didn't I (Blow Your Mind this Time)
Valentine Girl
If You Go Away
Please Don't Go Girl

BSB
Show Me The Meaning of Being Lonely
10,000 Promises
I'll Never Break Your Heart
Drowning
Incomplete

NKOTB
Step By Step
Cover Girl
My Favorite Girl
Games
Tonight

BSB
Shape Of My Heart
As Long As You Love Me
All I Have To Give
We've Got It Goin'
Quit Playin' Games With My Heart

I'll Be Lovin' You Forever - NKOTB
I Want It That Way - BSB
Don't Turn Out The Lights - NKOTBSB

Everybody (Backstreet's Back) - BSB
Hangin' Tough - NKOTB

Encore:
Everybody (Backstreet's Back)
Hangin' Tough (with excerpts from We Will Rock You)

Popular Posts