Ely Buendia Live in Glorietta


I scored free tickets for Ely Buendia's gig at Glorietta yesterday. I was really happy when I learned I will be able to get into his gig. I have never seen him or any of his bands live so I was really excited. So I went, but after his set, I walked out disappointed.

You see, this is THE Ely Buendia. OPM Rock God. Vocalist of Eraserheads- probably the most loved/recognized alternative group in the Philippines. I love Eraserheads. Their music was my youth. So to see 1/4 of the band and the vocalist/songwriter of Eraserheads live really meant so much to me. That was until this gig. A part of me was saying I shouldn't have just went. Then the image of Ely Buendia as a great performer would still be intact.

Don't get me wrong, I still think Ely Buendia is a great musician. It's just that, during that gig, he seemed unenthusiastic. He seemed to be not enjoying what he's doing. Parang napipilitan lang. He was like, "okay, let's just get done with this." Maybe the highest point of that gig was when he played "Overdrive" (my favorite Eheads song as a kid) and other E-heads classics. It still felt surreal for me. People are saying they are just doing it for the money there's probably nothing more to see but I still wish for another Eraserheads reunion in the future (I was just a penniless student in Baguio when Eraserheads: The Final Set happened.). Or attend any of their reunion concerts abroad.






Popular Posts