Wonderwall

When I was a kid, I had this strange idea that all the Oasis members are siblings. It may be because Liam and Noel looked so much alike (at one point I thought they were twins) and so I assumed all of them are biological brothers.

Oasis is one of the first rock bands I loved. I was in 1st or 2nd grade when Wonderwall came out and if my memory serves me right, this is the first ever Oasis video I've seen (where I thought the Gallagher brothers are twins and where I decided I liked Noel more because I thought he's cooler because he plays the guitar :D). I actually thought the band was an oldies (like from the Beatles era) because of the black and white music video.


A while ago, I was watching Beady Eye's rendition of Wonderwall at the London 2012 Summer Olympics closing ceremonies, and I have to agree to most of the comments: man, it's dreadful. I understand Liam's voice has changed and all, but I just can't...I just wan't to un-hear the song, that's it.


After few days, British boyband One Direction (who also performed at the closing ceremonies) released a cover of Wonderwall. Para lang silang nagja-jam, a friend suggests, siguro they were just taking a break from shooting a music video and they decided to do a cover. I say it's downright acceptable especially after listening to the one on top. Sorry Liam, di ako maka-move on. :p


As Anj says, Wonderwall is like Britain's national anthem, something they'd sing or play on guitar on casual gatherings whatsoever. I looked for other covers on YouTube. These are among the most voted covers:


I actually like Cartel's, and is it just me, or the sound isn't really not too punky?

Mike Flowers Pops' version defies the usual. Not bad.



And then there's the song writer himself:


By the way, Wonderwall isn't my favorite Oasis song.

Popular Posts