Farewell to a Great Teacher

Today is Teachers' Day. I don't know how legit this is but I woke up to The Morning Rush with this as their topic for the top 10. When I got into the workplace, I greeted my two of my friends that are/were in the academe, and also sent a tweet to my teachers back in college.

Few hours later, I received a real bad news: my sophomore high school English teacher/adviser died. How ironic this world is.

Ma'am Wilma holds a special part in my heart because she was the best teacher our batch ever had. I'm sure my batchmates would agree. She was like the John Keating (Robin Williams in Dead Poets Society) of our class. You remember how people would always say that our teachers are our parents when we're in school, well, Ma'am Wilma lived to that. We were in the sprung of our teenage years, sometimes rebellious,  misunderstood. But she had her own way of explaining things to us, what we feel, how we behave; she let us just be ourselves. We were all like, 'transformed' when we were under her supervision.

Last time I saw was last Christmas I think. Mother told me there was a time she was so sick and they all thought her days were numbered, but there she was, looking fine.

Oh well, she's in a better place now. May she rest in peace.

Popular Posts