'The Real Singles' at the Roots Music and Arts Festival


Sleepy and sluggish at work because of last night's Roots Music and Arts Festival, the Thursday/Valentine's event of UP Fair.

I can't even remember the last time I went to see a gig. I missed doing this! Or at least that's how I'm feeling right now. Live music is always an amazing experience, even though I've watched those bands several times performing the same songs. There will always be something different you with each act.

I went to the event with friends, unattached friends. Yes, I just have to put a stress on that, because it was Valentine's Day yesterday, and we were each other's dates. This was a plan that was brought up the same time we decided to come up with the name 'The Real Singles of [Nowhere]' for our group. We thought since we'll be spending Valentine's day alone, we're just gonna have a singles night out. Coincidentally, the best line-up (at least for me) is set on the 14th. Last year, I was also at the same place with friends. (Wow, I'm getting used to spending V-Day in UP. Well, I don't mind. As long as there's good music, I'm all good.)

I went to work early to avoid the rush hour, but plans changed when some friends decided to join. I have to wait for them or they might change their mind or anything. It was Valentine's Day and even payday to some, naturally, there was a heavy traffic build up all over the metro.

We arrived in UP Diliman by 9 pm, which kept Mara waiting for several hours because she was already there by 5 pm. Partly my fault because in the morning I told her I was gonna be early. But anyway, the good stuff is just starting by that time, and hosts Ramon Bautista and Bogart the Explorer were just introduced while we're dining.

We managed to catch these awesome bands: Moonstar88, Franco, Itchyworms, Urbandub, Giniling Festival and Up Dharma Down. A UP Underground Community band (I didn't get the name) also performed and I think they're really good. I won't be surprised if they become popular in the next few years, contrary to Ramon Bautista's quip (when he and Bogart were throwing out UUC cds to the audience), "Ang mga bandang di pa sikat pero laos na!" I heard plenty of famous bands who started at UP Fair. And I will always remember how I was mesmerized by Gracenote's performance back in 2010, where everyone in the park suddenly woke up and re-energized, because they were the closing act.

The event became more fun because of the hosts. I have seen Bogart host an event before but it was the first time I saw Ramon Bautista. They were hilarious! After each set there was a game participated by chosen people from the audience (and the price included The Heads Set, lucky lucky people!). The game was extra-fun because of their funny quips.


We planned to retire early, but we managed to wait for UDD's turn. After all, it's their (my friends) reason for going to the event. They played tracks from their new album. I hope I would be able to purchase a copy one of these days.

We started taking our way out by the end of UDD's 'Turn It Well'. Exit song daw. We heard Ang Bandang Shirley and a little of Kamikazee's sets while waiting for Lian and Mara who went to buy food.

The thing is, we were out by 1pm but managed to get a ride home an hour and a half later. There's just too many passengers and very few cabs in the area. We had to go all the way to Cubao to get a ride. Nonetheless, it was still a great night.

Pimpin' my lovely friends. ;)

Popular Posts