To Pursue Further Studies or Not?

Do I want to go back to school? Am I ready for grad school? Do I ever want to go back to school?

I'm talking about graduate school. I am assessing my position here. A part of me is trying to talk myself into going back to the academe, but it seems that 80 of me doesn't want to. At least that's how I feel right now.

If some people would make a list of pro's and con's to help them decide, well, I don't have to because I myself think that getting a degree is all pro's, all wins, no loses. What I do instead to assess the situation is ask myself questions:
Did I ever enjoy going to school?
What is it that made school enjoyable?
What did you hate about going to school?
What are the things you dread about being a student?
Why would I go back to school?
What will I gain if I go back to school?
Why would you not go back to school?
What will you get instead if you don't go back to school?
I'm thinking maybe if I get myself back to school, I will find my mojo back, because these days, I'm lazy at everything. When I say everything, I really mean everything. I even turn down invitations to hang with friends on weekends. Most days, I prefer to just stay home. I even have to force myself to go to the groceries when I ran out of supplies. I'm just...I've become extremely lazy. I can't even leave work because I am too lazy to go to interviews. What have become of me, I am so fucked up.

I'm thinking going to school could save me, you know. I'm looking for salvation here. Maybe taking this path can lead me to where I really wanna be. If I did find that school is not where I really wanna be, then I can just quit (damnit I quit at everything!!). Seriously though, I'm the kind of person that finishes things I started. This is very reason why I don't commit easily. If I think there's something to be compromised, I back down. To me, better not start a thing if there is a big chance I won't finish it anyway. It's a good trait, however, it's the very same thing that holds me back in many things I wanted to do.

If I did start try graduate school, there is nothing to lose, as I said. None, except money, which is a major consideration by the way. Tuition fee is expensive. A part of me is saying I could just use the tuition money to buy a new SLR or computer, or anything that makes me happy, even if it's just temporary. Because I'm a fickle-minded impulsive little shit.

I'm turning 25 next month, and I feel so old and unaccomplished. When I got employed, I thought of getting another degree, or a Master' degree while working, but I managed to convinced myself to give me some time away from the academe, and just enjoy independence. I gave myself a deadline, however, that when I turn 25, I would go back to school. But those idle years only buried the already small interest in pursuing another degree. I am so lost. This quarter life crisis shit is never ending.

Popular Posts