Sunday Music

Sunday music is what I call old music (70's and backwards specifically). I used to have a love-hate relationship with Sunday music. I grew up in the rurals and the very limited FM stations our radio could reach play old music for half a day on Sundays. I would wake up to The Beatles, Engelbert Humperdinck, and many other 'old-sounding' voices and 'old-sounding' sound (does that even make sense?). Yung tunog-luma. Tunog-plaka.

Sometimes, I would hate it. (Mostly because I was growing up and starting to like 'noisy' and whiny (now that I think of it) music.) But then it would come to me that the lolos and lolas may be looking forward to Sundays so they could listen to the music of their time. That thought would certainly make me feel better.

Having no choice but to listen to these old songs at least 4 hours each week, I learned to appreciate them. Here are some of those oldies but goodies that I love:

Bridge Over Troubled Water - Simon & Garfunkel (1971)


The Tennessee Waltz - Patti Page (1950)


Sad Movies (Make Me Cry) - Sue Thompson (1961)


The Last Waltz - Engelbert Humperdinck (1967)


Moon River - Andy Williams (1961)

Popular Posts