Uh what now shoot?

Last year when I sold my Nikon D90, a friend asked me why I did so. I answered, "Minsan, kelangan din mag-let go ng mga pangarap na di na matutupad."

There are dreams that'll remain dreams. Or I'm just inventing reasons here to console myself. I just lack drive.

I wanted to be a photographer. Just one of the many things I wanted to be.

I was in High School when I got interested in Photography. I didn't even have any camera, I just thought taking photos seems cool. I volunteered to represent my school in a division level schools press conference, even though my strength is writing. (The adviser allowed me to compete for both Feature Writing and Photojournalism.)

I won in the Photojournalism. Beginner's luck. I became the school paper's photographer, wasting precious films on crappy photos. But then nobody bought me a personal camera so that stopped there. When I was in college, my love for photography reignited. I took up a photojournalism course and would've enrolled the Photography class, too, if I had the chance. I preferred my subjects alive. Moving subjects breathe life. I would often take photos of people in action. Then I thought I could do sports photography if I get serious in this photography business. But this was never nurtured because I still didn't have any camera then. I made it through photojourn by borrowing cameras from friends.

When I graduated and unemployed, I thought of starting a photography blog, with a concept very much similar to The Humans of New York, only I planned to do it in Baguio. But I had no camera, nor money to buy one.

So when I was already earning my own money, I really saved to buy me a digital camera. (I didn't really spend much thinking on the specs, I just wanted to have my own camera badly. Few weeks later, I regret buying that Sony cam.) I wanted to learn landscape photography and its poor specs didn't help. I later resolved that I suck at taking landscapes.

Couple of years later, I bought a second hand D90. Because I suddenly wanted to do music photography. I thought it would most probably be the coolest thing I could do. Going to gigs/concerts and taking photos of your favorite bands/musicians, it's the closest I could get to living an 'Almost Famous' kind of life!

I spent weekends going to bars to watch gigs. I was happy, but eventually, grew tired. I resolved I would never get paid for my photos, so I convinced myself to focus on more feasible things instead.

This morning, Nina Sandejas followed me on Twitter (she's only some photographer I envy for living a rock 'n roll life). One thing hit me: should I go shooting again?

Popular Posts