Aklatan: Filipino Book Fair

My stash (of Filipino books)
Yesterday has been my happiest in a while. These past months, I might have gone through mild depression because since June, I haven't been going out and slept most of the time. Whenever I needed to do something or go somewhere, I always had a hard time dragging myself out of the room. Now, I think I got my mojo back!

When I joined the 1 Million People March to Luneta, more than anything else (and yes, that includes joining the PDAF march :p), I felt so happy just being out there. While locating our other friends, my companion laughed at me when I asked if we could just stay a little longer because I was enjoying the fountain show, which on ordinary day would be mundane.

It's really nice to be outside, I reckoned when I was on my way home yesterday from a solo day out.

Despite the lack of sleep, I managed to get up early on Saturday. There's this book fair and I wanted to catch the program because some of my favorite local writers would be there. But I couldn't put down Anne Frank (I was on the last pages!) so as usual, I was late. I decided to just drop by the fair, maybe buy some books and I'll be off to Glorietta for the Thai film festival.

But the heavens love me! Once I got in to the fair, the forum I wanted to watch was just starting! Ricky Lee, Eros Atalia and Carlo Vergara were the panelists, with Lourd de Veyra as the interviewer. It was a fun talk that went between the writers.

Some quips from the talk:

Lourd: So ang book fair na ito ay local, parang MMFF. Kumbaga, si Eros, kanya yung Mano Po, Mano Po 8, 'no?
Eros: Manu Pa.

---

Carlo: (upon handing in the mic after a long exchange between Lourd and Eros) Thank you for watching the Eros and Lourd Show! Ang tawag sa show ay "The Eros of the Lourd."
---

Lourd: (to Carlo, about the sales of Zsa Zsa Zaturnnah book after the movie came out) Pero napansin mo ba na dumami?
Carlo: Na dumami ang mga bakla?


When it ended I immediately went and purchase the (not so) new Zsa Zsa Zaturnnah comic book and had it signed by the author.

All those books surrounding me, it was like heaven! I've got eyes on many books, but my budget won't allow me to get 'em all. Sa susunod na lang yung iba. :) I bought the first two installments of Trese. My colleagues are crazy about this graphic novel so I might as well check it out. I also bought Ricky Lee's Si Amapola sa 65 na Kabanata. I was choosing between Amapola and Jun Cruz Reyes' Ang Huling Dalagang Bukid but the latter is more expensive, next time na lang. But Ricky Lee left almost immediately after the talk so I didn't get to have it signed.



Ms. Cristina Pantoja Hidalgo

Fact: Before this event, I had no idea how Cristina Pantoja Hidalgo looks like. I've been reading her works but I never cared to look up what she looks like. Well, I saw her in the fair and she's pretty and seemed nice. She looked kagalang-galang, hehe. She was reading something when I stopped infront of their table, noticed her name tag, was star struck, and took a photo (which was blurred). When she saw me, she looked up and smiled for another one. :)

I wanted to get Eros Atalia's autograph, too, but I refused to buy a new book since I already had them back in Cagayan, and the one I really wanted to get signed is my copy of 'Manwal ng Napapagal.' Anyway, I got a smile and a photo with him, that would do for now. :)

I was already leaving when I decided to get Manix Abrera's autograph, too. He was seated at the end of a long table at the entrance and maybe since he sat there, fans had been lining up. Earlier, I even sat and stood in the area while contemplating what I should do next. I didn't really intend to get his autograph because I didn't have any book of his with me, but I saw how he signs each book: he really draws on it, personalized! His has the longest line of fans, pero sulit naman talaga!

Sulit magpapirma kay Sir Manix!

Popular Posts