On Watching Horror Flicks

From the bookfest, I went straight to Ayala. I wanted to see the 1:30 film (Thai Filmfest) but I was few minutes late and I was hungry. I went for lunch and read the rest of Anne Frank before going to the cinemas to see this Thai horror flick.

I don't normally see horror movies in big screen. I feel it's a waste of money if the movie is either very bad it failed to scare me, or too good it haunts me after.

I started not seeing horror movies when I saw The Ring in high school. I swear that movie haunted me. I began to develop this belief that seeing such movies doesn't only play with my mind, but it could also enhance one's ESP, that is the third eye.

You see when I was younger, I had a mild ESP (or so I thought). I don't really "see" but I could "feel" and "hear" the presence of other entities. When I reside in a dorm in Baguio, (those were the times that ESP thing was strongest) I was so afraid that my third eye would open, what with all these ghost stories in the dorm.

I didn't want to see 'things.' I liked my life to be blissful. I swear it's not cool if every now and then you'd hear noises of flipping pages on top of your bunk bed but you're all alone in the room. Or see your roommate come inside the room, and after a minute she comes in again but she didn't leave the room when she first came in. Or wake up in the middle of the night because you were being choked in a dream, or simply falling in a vast dark space. For months, I couldn't use my bed because I always have bad dreams when I sleep in there. Whenever I got spare time, I try getting some sleep during the day. When I sleep, I hold a rosary and after saying my prayer, I whisper and ask for 'them' to please not disturb my slumber because I need it.

So anyway, because I really prayed to be spared of this ESP thing, I eventually felt that I no longer had the capacity to hear them whatsoever. Because of this, I had the courage to see horror movies again.

I went to see a Thai horror film, Coming Soon. It was an enjoyable experience for several reasons. The movie was about a horror film to be shown in the theaters. The thing is, the film itself is haunted. Anyone who sees the ending dies. While it was showing, there was a time when it was suddenly cut-off for a few seconds, so people in the audience were joked, "Naku, nagkakatotoo na!"

Another thing that makes watching horror films in the theater, the screams. It makes me smile whenever people from a certain part of the theater screams, it just sounds so good on my ears. Maybe I'll go see the other horror film tomorrow.

Popular Posts