The Killers in Manila


"Mabuhay, Manila! Sa wakas, The Killers are here!," shouts Brandon Flowers, and all the hearts in Araneta popped. Yes, finally. The Killers in Manila.

That's all I wanted to hear really. LOL Seriously, inaabangan ko lagi kung ano ang local word na sasabihin ng vocalist (or any band member) sa concert, other than the clichés -- "Mabuhay" and "Mahal ko kayo." To the surprise of the Filipino audience, he recited what's supposedly taught to him as the 'Filipino motto' -- "Makatao, Maka-Diyos, Makakalikasan, Makabayan." ;) I say konti na lang, mare-recite na niya ang Panatang Makabayan. A part of me is convinced that he was just reading those words aloud from a piece of paper taped on floor, but still it's cool! (Waley, talo na ang moment mo Jared Leto. Hehe.)

This was the first concert I've seen this year and I was more than happy I was in Araneta that night. The Killers slayed. 

I actually had no intention of going to the concert, but I guess some days, if things are meant to happen, the universe really conspires to make those things happen. As Yel says, the stars are in perfect alignment at that moment.

Last week, I planned to go. Damn. The Killers. I waited for this. They're not really my top favorite band but I love their music. Last summer, I was telling a friend that I'd definitely spend on The Killers if they ever come to the Philippines, which I didn't see happening too soon. You see, I have been bailing out on concerts of great artists that are coming in because ~I have to save, money. Well, few months after that summer, I still don't want to spend on any concert.

The calendar in my room
When I learned that The Killers included Philippines to their Battle Born Tour, I thought I'd be able to save up, but I really became tight on my own money now (good job!). What I did was join contests for tickets. I didn't win in any. I still wanted to go so I thought I was just gonna buy a GenAd seat. But then just this week, I was urged to buy a backpack, so I decided to give up my The Killers money.

Few hours before the concert, a friend from work asked if anyone is interested in buying tickets to see The Killers -- discounted tickets. It was a spur of the moment. I swear we didn't even think about it, another friend and I said yes in an instant! I'm happy I gave in to the randomness because I had the necessary fun I needed.

So there we went. Even though our main man Yel, who's friends with the ticket seller, was so tensed. He kept thinking something's gonna go wrong because of the randomness of it all. I, on the other hand, am just going with it because I know whatever happens, that night will be epic. Experiences from impulse decisions always turn out to be unforgettable because they're either too unfortunate or too good.

At around 7pm, we braved the rush hour at MRT. And at around 8, we were locating a good area in a row of seats that's not what's printed in our tickets. (There were lots of empty seats.) I was really hoping we'd be transferred to lower seats for better view. But a little later, the empty seats were starting to be occupied. Late lang pala ang mga tao.

Our very own Sandwich opened for The Killers. When we got in, they were just tuning up their instruments and they performed for less than half an hour I think. It was short and too soon because we still had to wait for 30 minutes before the Vegas guys appeared on stage.

While waiting, I kept glancing at the doorways beside the stage, I expected all lights to be turned off when it starts, but The Killers surprised everyone when they emerged from the backstage, climbing up the stage and took their respective instruments and started playing Mr. Brightside. With all the lights on. Ang liwanag lang. What is literal. :p After the number, Brandon removed his jacket. Welcome to the hot hot hot Philippines! (When they were making their way to the stage, ang una kong napansin, naka-skinny jeans ang Brandon at ang payat niya at ang liit nga niya pag katabi yung ibang members ng banda.)

After the first song, too, that's was when the lights were turned out and for a moment the sporadic little lights from colored stick lamps and, sige na nga, electronic gadgets looked lovely. A little later, the lights show began which would be enjoyed better if you're seated on the upper part or somewhere far. Ha, advantage! The lights direction was awesome and it would've been great in photos! We also figured the lights show was the reason why the LCD screens weren't turned on. Ayun tuloy, I didn't see Brandon Flowers' beautiful face from an Araneta big screen. :p (Another disadvantage pag malayong view, I thought his shirt was checkered until I saw close up photos the day after. Star spangled banner pala ang drama.)

My companions and I really enjoyed the night. If we knew the lyrics to the song, we'd sing and dance and jump. If we didn't know how the song goes, we still danced. The camera we had couldn't take good photos from where we were seated so the band has all our attention. Somewhere in the middle of the set, Brandon showed off his newly learned Tagalog words.

Brandon seem to love climbing up the amplifiers and dancing on 'em. I had mini-heart attacks everytime he jumps on top of an amp. (OMG baby malaglag ka dyan!) I swear at one point, I was trying to see if there are bouncers right infront of him whenever he goes prancing on the amps.

Most of the people on the upper boxes too were on party mode, unlike those who are on the moshpit, at least how we see them from up there. The voices were loudest for Mr. Brightside, Human, Runaways and All These Things That I've Done. The guys even let the audience sing "I got soul but I'm not a soldier" for an extended time.

When the band took a break before the encore, the audience kept yelling, "More! More! More!" and I was just sitting there, clapping from time to time, just chillin' because we very well know they'll back. After the encore, that's when I'm gonna ask for more. :D It's a good thing though because there was no 'idle' time, I mean hindi natahimik yung lugar, which is good in a rock concert. :) When they went back up, Brandon asked what we wanna hear. Of course, I yelled 'Bones.' (Common, that's probably the sweetest thing they'd ever penned ~don't you wanna come with me? don't you wanna feel my bones on your bones?~ :p) Naturally, the majority won and they will stick to their set list, hehe. Their last song was 'When You Were Young' which was enjoyed by everyone. Then it was over. The encore is really my least favorite part of a concert.

When I got home, I couldn't go in because the main door was double-locked. Good thing I gathered a supply of happiness from the concert. It rarely happens (because I get pissed off easily) but I managed to keep cool until someone finally woke up and opened the door for me. (Around 5 minutes lang naman ako sa labas.) I had difficulty going to sleep because I was still very energized.

This one's really for the books. As Anj says, "Yes to more fun random days!"


At the moment, I'm still hung over and waiting for photos from the organizers because we were at the Upper Box area and I wanted to see what the VIP and Patron saw. But there a very bright side to not having to take photos throughout the concert, we had all the time to just enjoy, sing and danced to the music.


The Killers Battle Born Tour Manila PH Setlist

Mr. Brightside
Spaceman
The Way It Was
Smile Like You Mean It
Bling
Shadowplay
Miss Atomic Bomb
Human
Somebody Told Me
I Think We're Alone Now
For Reasons Unknown
From Here On Out
A Dustland Fairytale
Read My Mind
Runaways
All These Things That I've Done

Change Your Mind
Jenny Was a Friend of Mine
When You Were Young

*not so sure but somewhere in the first part (maybe 4th of 5th song), Brandon performed an acapella of Human, just a short version

Popular Posts