90's Nostalgia: #SugarSmashGin in Manila


I got to experience the 90's nostalgia tour! Haha! Thanks to the very affordable tickets we scored, I got to experience the #SugarSmashGin concert. That's Sugar Ray, Smash Mouth and Gin Blossoms in one concert! Nineties goodness!

My friends and I are among the crowd in the topmost part of the big dome that night. GenAd sure is jampacked, proof that many 90s kids can be really kuripot thrifty. On the other hand, the UpperBox area is a big chunk of vacant blue seats. The venue was barely half-filled, but you gotta give it to those who made an effort to go, despite the date falling on a Monday. It may be because Pinoys are a big fan of nostalgia. Admit it, we like to reminisce.

Aside from good music, SugarSmashGin is a concert one would enjoy because there were no annoying kids, with their huge-ass tablets, camera phones and DSLRs all up in the air all the throughout a concert. Mabibilang mo lang yung mga nagte-take ng pictures and videos every now and then. And they do it for just few seconds, then they'd put their devices down and just enjoy the performances (except for the couple seated infront of us who recorded the whole concert, not kidding). Well, older people gotta know better. Oh, and beer was sold inside the venue. Ozm.


Color It Red opened the show. It's a bit off tangent choice but maybe the producers are aiming for an all-nineties vibe. It was my first time to hear them live though. There was this funny moment when someone from GenAd yelled: "Yung oldies naman, yung makakarelate kami!" The band must've heard him for they played "Na Naman" next. :)

After the opening act, Smash Mouth played next, and I don't know but they chose to play their lesser-known (or probably newer) songs. People had to clamor that they play their more popular songs so they can sing and dance. I was just happy they played "Walkin' on the Sun", my favorite song of theirs. (In a universe where I could surf, that would be my anthem.) When the band left the stage without playing "All Star", people went wild. I, myself, thought their part was over (because I've no idea how a concert with three bands goes on), but few minutes later they went back for the encore, which included "All Star."

Sugar Ray's is probably the liveliest part of that night. Even though he dances awkwardly (hehe), I appreciate that Mark McGrath knows how to connect well with the audience. Among the three frontmen, he's the only one that threw in some Tagalog words and kept thanking the Filipino crowd and greeting the "beautiful ladies." They also chose to play their hits such as "Someday", "Every Morning", "Answer the Phone", When It's Over" and "Fly". I couldn't ask for more really because the songs in my own list were all there. Mark McGrath even gave a background story on how the songs were written.

At one point, they took two people from the audience for a 'karaoke match.' The first one had to sing Psy's "Gangnam Style", which he willingly did so and the other one had to do Black Eyed Peas "I Got a Feeling." The audience picked the first performer but in the end they were both clear winners since they received a Third Eye Blind shirt and a Semisonic shirt, respectively. It would've been more awesome by tons if those bands were part of the concert as well. :D


Seated infront of us is a couple who recorded every song all throughout the concert. In their respective phones. At the same time. We were at the GA section.
Gin Blossoms performed last. (By this time, packs of people are starting to leave, probably because it's past midnight and there's still work the next day.) Apparently, their plane literally just landed 30 minutes before. Robin Wilson even revealed that his drink consists of Vodka and Red Bull. Oh, well, that was a 30-hour plane ride, and then you have to go straight to a concert.

During their opening number, Wilson instantly gave away a tambourine to a little girl in the mosh pit. During the middle of their set, I began to fell sleepy. (I am kalabaw!) It didn't help at all how their music is mellow as opposed to the first two performers. I had to fight it because I can't go home yet because I know my companions went to this concert for Gin Blossoms. I couldn't be happier that their set included "As Long As It Matters", "Till I Hear It From You", "Allison Road", and "Hey Jealousy."

After the concert, I made a resolution to see more concerts of artists that I like even if that means spending a little more. Hearing them perform live (more than seeing their faces closer while playing--although this would be the best experience really) always means unparalleled happiness. After all, it's the music I'm after, so I should just be fine with a GA seat if that's all that I can afford. It would definitely be better than not going at all and be full of regrets in the end. (I really regret not seeing The Cranberries when they were in the country sometime last year.)

Popular Posts