A Day with the Laguna Pit Bulls

I have to give myself a pat on the back for successfully making it to this volunteering gig. This is something I haven't done in a while. After months of just lazing around, finally, I did something new and worthy, breaking the monotony in my weekend.

My colleague Timmi, who is a cat-lover an animal lover is a CARA volunteer got us into this. According to her, she used to volunteer for a cat house in Manila but later on, she tried her hands on working with the Laguna Pit Bull Rehabilitation Center, a project of CARA.

A 160+ pit bulls (rescued from illegal dogfighting facilities in Cavite and Laguna) are currently housed in Villa Escudero for rehabilitation. You can read more about the project here. CARA is accepting any help-cash donations and manpower. In our case, services is what we can offer for now.

I said I had to give myself a pat on the back because when my colleagues started volunteering, I wanted to join, but I kept hearing all about these requirements they had to accomplish first before they will be allowed to work with LPB. While I'm not new to this thing (I used to do volunteer works in behalf of my organizations in Baguio and I am aware that we usually cannot start working unless we met all the requirements or finished all the paperwork), this time I was just too lazy to do the pre-requisites. I assumed it would be too much of a hassle, but really, it's just a paper asking for your information, a letter of intent (a short one would do), and a photocopy of a government-issued ID. It wasn't tedious like I thought it was, and it is really important to comply.

Initially, there were about 10 of us from the office, but things happened and our group ended up being just 6. I was the only newbie. And I was scared. I never handled a pit bull in my life. Our pet dog back in Cagayan was a breed of Aspin and pit bull and we're not friends, so that was another reason why I gave this volunteering thing much thought. Pit bulls are not the usual cute-sized dogs my friends own that I would pet every now and then. They are huge and strong, and I've heard a number of morbid stories regarding them as well. But my friends came out unscathed during their first visit, so I thought I'd have to be the unluckiest person if I ever get harmed while doing the job.

Upon entering the facility where the dogs are taken care of, I was overwhelmed (even though I was informed beforehand of their number and to expect a 'loud' greeting). I don't think I've ever seen such a great number of dogs in one place.

During the orientation, from my companions and the short orientation from Melody, the LPB head, the job sounded pretty simple. First, I'd have to visit the dogs in their cages, observe them, take notes of their actions and skin conditions and give them treats. Takot ko lang ilapit yung kamay ko nung una kasi baka sakmalin nila, but eventually, I got the hang of it. After making the rounds in the 'medyo safe' dogs, we went to walk the adoptables (the only group that's allowed to be walked). There were about 20 of them. We're new volunteers so for our safety, we had to be accompanied by core volunteers. I was with Timmi and Ras.

Snowflake, the LPB ambassador
I chose Snowflake first because she was really pretty, hehe. (Apparently, she's an LPB ambassador. She can be seen in some LPB videos.) When she was being taken out of her cage, I wanted to change my pick because I didn't give much consideration to her size. Malaki siya so she'd be strong. Good thing Ras put another leash on her so walking her wasn't that difficult.

After walking, we bathed her. What surprised me most was how the dogs behaved during bath time. Kung gaano sila kalikot sa paglalakad, ganun sila ka-still pag pinapaliguan. Snowflake must've been so tired from walking because when we were bathing her, she was lying on her stomach.


I give myself another good job star on this one because I managed to allow Snowflake to lick my face. (I like doing that with dogs.) I was hesitant at first because she's huge she could eat my face, but thanks to LPB, I discovered how pit bulls can be very gentle. :)

Our next pick was Ensay, Timmi's favorite. She was a a little hyper inside the cage, but she didn't give us any trouble outside. After Ensay's bath, we took a break for lunch.

Rein, Ashanti and Shyne
After lunch, we walked Samantha. I first chose Ayiesha, but she was Jose and Buboy's pick, too, so I just gave way. I wanted Samantha because I noticed she was just there in her cage, well-behaved (while others are barking loudly), in puppy eyes, in short, nagpapa-cute. When I told Ras, we want her, he just said, "okay" and smirked. Apparently, style pala yun ni Sam, yung magpapa-cute pero pag nilabas na, magulo na. We almost didn't get to walk her because she was hyper once taken out of her cage. Inikot muna siya ni Ras before handing her over to us.

Rein with Carol, the resident pakarga pit bull :)
After bathing Sam, we also helped bathe Datu, one of the biggest dog in the rehab center. I expected to be walking one more dog but there was no longer enough time. Everyone was so concerned about me being overworked because according to them, usually, a first-timer only gets to walk and bathe one dog. Oh well, I was happy we're the only volunteers at that time kasi mabibitin lang ako kung isa lang ang dog na mailalabas ko.

Ayiesha with Jose and Buboy
Royal treatment for Datu
Every group managed to walk and bathe 2-3 dogs, and the core volunteers walked 1-2 each earlier that day, so I guess it was a productive day. It's goof that almost all of the adoptables were taken out for a walk. :)

I'd definitely be back. And to my dog back in Cagayan, watch out when I get home, I learned some tricks, I'm gonna befriend you. :D

You can also render your time to bond with the dogs, visit this website for more information.


Photos from Keef Salas.

Popular Posts