Haiyan/Yolanda

Typhoon Yolanda (Haiyan) is currently beating central Philippines. At the moment, signal #4 is still up in many provinces and so far, the typhoon has already done lots of damages. Weather reports says it's the strongest typhoon that made a landfall in 30 years or so and is listed in the top 10 strongest typhoons that ever hit the Earth.

This morning I was surprised to learn that Metro Manila is under signal #2. It was hardly drizzling. I aimed to make it to work early so I can get home early. Every Makati employee knows that rain + Friday + rush hour were never a good combination.

I tried to keep myself busy with work, but Twitter took most of my time away. As I was reading updates and looking through photos, I have mixed feelings. I know this is wrong and I admit, I feel really guilty, but I have to say I felt a little relieved the typhoon didn't happen in Region II. Recent typhoon Vinta left huge damages in Cagayan. Our own house wasn't spared. My mother said water came in to my room because the roof had been damaged, and apparently, they still don't have electricity. I saw photos over at Facebook of old huge trees in my high school and gymnasiums that were taken down. I don't know how my kababayans would take a stronger typhoon. It was barely a week that has passed.

When I saw the map of the affected areas by Yolanda, I felt worse. Most of those provinces were the poorest in the country. Their little huts would be easily taken down by winds and rains. The Boholanos weren't on their feet yet from the recent disaster that hit their province. Many people were still living in tents. And then this typhoon is headed for them. It's really cruel.

To me memories of typhoon in the province includes cold nights, brownouts, roof leaks, hot meals, raincoats, boots, improvised indoor games- pleasant and unpleasant things altogether.

Growing up in a place frequented by typhoons, I know exactly how it feels to be in imminent danger due to typhoons. My family lived in a small wooden house and thinking about it now, I am very thankful nothing ever happened to any member of my family every time there is a typhoon. I never experienced our house being taken down and having to evacuate. Although there was that constant fear that our roof or walls might be ripped apart in the middle of the night.

There were lots of leaks in the gutter. Up to five pails and kaserola would be lined up to catch droppings. Sometimes, that would even be a cause of fight among the parents. Bakit ngayon lang aayusing kung kelan umuulan na etc, etc.

With typhoon comes brownout. We do not ask when the power will be restored. We ask why the power isn't out yet when strong winds is already felt. It's more dangerous if a wire was cut from a line because it's live. After a strong typhoon, Cagelco would be counting posts that were taken down. There was even a time when we didn't have electricity for almost a month. The only one that has power because they have their own generator was the National Irrigation Administration building, where we would ask for our phones to be charged. Times like these, ironing school uniforms goes back to basic- plantsa de uling.

When there is a typhoon, every door in the neighborhood would be close even in the day, but if you need something, you just have to knock. Sari-sari stores were half-close. I mean, they usually close the windows, but if you need to buy anything, you just call out or knock. I've never been to the market during a typhoon, I know there are still some who opens up their stores. But definitely, prices would be higher.

Balatung (mongo) with tinapa was a staple in our dining table during times like these. Sometimes, it was miki laddit with sardines and sometimes just plain sardines, when my father can't really go to the market. I distinctly remember feeling anxious when my father or brother would go out for errands during typhoons. Flying dangerous things like yero are common in the province, you know.

Another thing I never experienced is flooding. But if you call 'lampas sa talampakan na tubig na pumapasok sa kusina namin dahil di agad nakakalabas sa drainage yung tubig ulan' flood, then yes I did. In my hometown, flood is a threat to those in low lying areas near the river.

I haven't watched the news this evening. I'm only getting updates from Twitter and it's only now that they're getting reports from the affected areas. It was devastating to hear about deaths. To think that we ~somehow~ prepared for this (or supposedly).

Popular Posts