Skyworld by Mervin Ignacio & Ian Sta. Maria


Skyworld Volume One: Apocrypha & Testament

Every legend hides a lie.

A murdered Skygod re-emerges in modern-day Manila. A Tikbalang prince plots vengeance for the death of his father. And the Queen of the Asuang unleashes the mythical Bakunawa upon the streets of the city.

Caught in their age-old struggle is Andoy, a crippled orphan that discovers he is the fulfillment of a prophecy dating back to Lapu-Lapu himself.


Skyworld Volume Two: Prodigal


The Queen of the Asuang and her legion have taken over the country. Alexandra Trese leads the resistance along-side Makabo, a Tikbalang warrior, and Kaio, the Duwende trickster

Trapped in their epic battle is Andoy, a teenage boy tasked with uniting an army of Tikbalang, Enkanto, Kapre and Duwende against the Asuang.

But before he can lead them, he must first recover a mystical sword that was once part of the fabled Yamashita Treasure.

---

Thanks to my officemate Baldo for loaning me the books. Awesome graphic novel! Astig. I particularly love the graphics on this one. The plot is promising, maganda i-adapt for movie. Though I think it would've been a lot better if it was stretched longer. (Maybe what I'm asking for is a prose, no?)

Although I love how they used local myths, many of which I only learned about from reading modern comics. :p But many of the characters were never built up. They just pop out of nowhere without any background information or anything. If I hadn't read Trese, I wouldn't have any idea where those characters came from.

Also, I didn't like how it ended. The Queen of Asuang was very powerful, the readers deserved a more elaborate retaliation between her and the protagonists. :p I felt it ended abruptly.

Despite this mainly negative comment on the books, I still give Skyworld an ASTIG rating. :)
Me trying to keep it cool by reading Skyworld while waiting for the bus while my friends are sitting in the shade trying not to piss me off. (Bontoc, 2013)

Popular Posts