Batad

I spent the Halloween weekend in the northern highlands. Next year, I won't be writing down Batad in my planner anymore. Every year, I write Batad along with other destinations on my planner/notebook because they say there's a higher chance that it will happen if you write down your goals. Batad is one place ticked off in my bucket list, but I'd definitely visit over and over again.

I've always wanted to see Batad ever since I saw the indie film with the same title. But ~life keeps happening, so it took me years to finally fulfill it. One major reason why Batad hasn't happened sooner was because I wanted to catch the season when the terraces would be all green. During our visit, planting season in Banaue, Ifugao was just starting so only small portions of the terraces were planted with rice. But then again, I never really noticed that until a friend brought it up. I was that taken aback by the beauty of the place.

Oct 31 – Nov 1: Manila – Ifugao

Several friends showed interest in joining the Batad trip, but in the end, there were only 3 of us–myself, Karen, and Ryan. We took the 10:30 p.m. trip of Ohayami Trans. Bloggers said it should be a 12-hour trip, but our bus managed to arrive in Banaue in 8 and a half hours. (Good thing, no?)

We arrived in Banaue at 7:30 a.m. Right after setting foot out of the bus, a local guy approached my friend and offered a tour. I was hesitant because I was thinking they might rip us off, but we still followed him down to the public market. We went to ask other jeepney drivers on how to get to Batad and we were told to pay P100 each. After several minutes, we decided to go with the first man who lead us to People's Lodge and Restaurant where we discussed what he is offering. In the end, we managed to talk them into giving us super discounted transportation and tour guide rates–P150 each. When all was settled, we finally went to have breakfast. We thought of having breakfast once we're in Batad, but the guide told us that we won't have any more time when we're there.


We had baon so we just ordered rice and asked for hot water, hehe. We weren't even sure if there's corkage, but we ate anyway. But we didn't get to finish our meals because at exactly 8:30, our group left for Batad. We rode a jeep along with, maybe 10 others–Pinoys and foreign tourists. From the first stop, we decided to topload, which was good decision because there were many interesting sights along the way.



Just chilling, at the bangin.
It was a more than 30 minutes ride up to the Saddle point. We then headed down to the amphitheater terraces. And I didn't know that that was already the hiking part. (I was wearing chucks!) I should've known when I saw some of the females in our group change into their hiking shoes when we arrived at the saddle point. It was more or less 40 minutes hike down. My shoes made it but not unscathed. :/





There's a P50/person conservation fee to be paid once you reach the community. We asked our guide to take us to Hillside Inn. My friend says they stayed there few years ago and the rent was only P100, which the guides back at People's laughed at saying maybe it was in the 90s. We did get a cheap room, not P100, but still cheaper compared to other rooms– P150/person/night. I think all the inns/rooms in Batad are strategically placed so they would face the terraces. It was beautiful!

We checked in so we can leave our things before going to Tappia. I just wanted to take off my beaten shoes so bad. I was rushing because people were waiting outside. At first I didn't even bother to change into a comfortable clothing, but when I learned that our guide went somewhere for a while, I went back to our room and change into shorts. I was wearing jeans all the while. I took a bottle of water, my camera and rejoined the group. Our guide took us to Ramon's where our companions ordered for their lunch so they could just eat once we get back from the falls.

The trek to Tappia falls was similar the trek to the Big Falls, if you've been to Sagada. It was nearing noon when we started trekking across the terraces and I think none of us bothered to put on sunscreen. Now, this is the fun part, walking through the dikes of the amphitheater terraces. I imagined the heights between the boxes to be about two feet, but in reality, lampas-tao pala, so we had to be really careful not to trip. I was sleepy but I had to fight it because back home, I used to be teased for not knowing how to properly walk on dikes. Also, at some point we encountered snakes on the way, so I had to no choice but to stay alert.



During our trek down to the falls, our fellow Pinoys were bashful, teasing our guide, "O kuya, asan na yung mga foreigner mo?", when  the foreigners in our group were at the tail end. When we began trekking, our guide instructed us to keep it fast once we reach the falls, saying how foreigners usually just take photos of the place, probably take a quick dip and then get moving, while Pinoys like to take time and chillax.




Found a nice wakeskating spot



Catching dalag (Photo by Karen Nono)
Even though the falls seemed ordinary, it will look majestic after that long trek which was about 40 minutes. I really wanted to take a dip because it was really hot, but I hesitated when I saw I would be to he only female in the water. It tool me several more minutes, but eventually, I gave in and so did Karen. We only stayed in the water for several minutes though. The other people in our group leaves in the afternoon so we can't really take all the time. Our guide told our group that we can stay behind since we're staying overnight at Hillside, but we decided to go with them on the hike up.

The trek up is where things turned around. Team Filipino was now on the tail. I myself didn't know that happened to me (most probably the lack of physical activities), but I've never experienced that level of difficulty in any of the climbs I did in the past. Halfway on the trek up, my knees were literally shaking. Then my left leg decided to cramp. We just tried to laugh out our tragedy, ang yayabang kasi. :p

My friends and I broke up with the group at a store near the inns. They went to Ramon's while we went back to Hillside.




An empty cup and our view at lunch (Photo by Karen)
After lunch, some women offered massage services. My back ached badly (probably shocked for carrying a heavy pack) so I employed them for 30 minutes.


Prinsesa problems, LOL. After that, what else, I went to sleepzzzzzzz. I woke up before the dark fully enveloped the surroundings but didn't really leave the bed. I busied myself in waking up my companions instead.

When we're all wide awake, we went up and hang at the restaurant/viewdeck, although there was really nothing to see but a vast blackness and vague silhouette of the mountains. And stars, of course, stars. We stayed there until before 9 pm.This is dinner + beer.


Popular Posts