(F)Artsies and First Times



November 2 - 3 : Sagada - Bontoc - Baguio

The night before, we had a nice plan of having breakfast at Gaia with Mara. I was pushing for a quick visit at Besao instead, but we were short of time as we were all leaving town that day.

Our new-found friend Kuya Bodjie left early in the morning. We were aware that tourists will be bailing out that day, too, so we knew it would bee difficult to get a trip from Sagada back to the lowlands. Our plan was to go to Bontoc where there are more trips to Baguio.

We were already on our way to Gaia when it dawned on us that the restaurant doesn't open til 10. We fought over where we should have breakfast then – Ryan and Lian wanted to go to Yoghurt House but I was insisting we eat somewhere else. I laughed triumphantly when we found out YG was still closed. Actually, most of the restaurants in Sagada doesn't open before 8 a.m. We ended up at Pinikpikan Haus. Still, they won because this is also on their list, while I was just there in less than 24 hours.


After the meal, we went around looking for some souvenirs. All the while they were trying to transform me into a positive person that say nothing but yes. Friends, nice try, but I will never be that. Not anytime soon. :p

Then Karen and I decided to go back to the inn, while the other two went and try their luck again on Yoghurt House. I knew that they were successful when after 30 minutes or so, they came back happy. They were definitely winning! They got their pinikpikan and yoghurt while I didn't get my yogurt from Bana's because I was too full from breakfast!

When we were told that there were no more buses from Sagada to Baguio, we decided to go to Bontoc then and there. Checked out of the inn, had a sip of the free brewed coffee downstairs then went off.

We're not really rushing but we took the first jeep to Bontoc. It was only me and Lian who were seated, the others were at the topload.

We arrived at Bontoc in 30 minutes, and almost forgot Lian who was sleeping inside the jeep. The couple were traveling back to Manila while our group were set for Baguio so we separated ways. Even in Bontoc, lack of trips to Baguio was a problem. People lined in queues, and as if we have other choice, we went  at the end of the line.

When I heard a passenger say, "Agpicture da kanu pay" I was hoping it was not my companions that caused this few seconds delay. :p
(Photo by Karen Nono)
Thank goodness I brought Skyworld with me. (Photo by Karen Nono)
Several times, Karen and Lian went to look if there are alternative routes we could take. I stayed in line and tried to calm myself. Michelle, who was waiting for a van, saw them and went with them to see us. We asked if we could go with her (she was to take a van to Abatan, Benguet then Baguio) but she wasn't sure if there's another trip after the one they're waiting for. Finally, we got in the fourth Sunrise bus. We were all at the backmost seat, but at least we got in. Baguio was six hours away, but we didn't sleep all the way through.

We reached Baguio at around 7 p.m., went straight to Good Taste in Legarda for dinner. The original itinerary was supposed to be – market for pasalubong, dinner at Good Taste, Cafe by the Ruins for Ces' exhibit, meet-up with blockmates at Ebai's, then party at Drix or whoever would take us in for the night and then La Union in the morning before going back to Manila. Everything changed though, when Karen's friend couldn't accompany us to La Union. We decided to just put the pasalubong-buying and Cafe by the Ruins for the next day.


Some friends went to see us while we're still in GT, and when we're leaving the place, Ryan suddenly pulled off this leaving for Manila skit. Nahiya daw bigla si baliw. We all went to Ebai's where Melvin, Mara and Hendrix were waiting, then bid Ryan goodbye (ayaw magpapigil). We couldn't stay long at Ebai's because it was Sunday and they were closing early. After eating our carrot cake (ang sarap!), we all walked to Victory Liner terminal to send off Melvin and Mara and Roujahn and Jake who we bumped into the terminal. Lian, Karen and I crashed at Drix's and just called the night off because we're all tired.



November 4 : Baguio - Manila

We set the next day going around the city. After having a heavy breakfast at 50's Diner, we set off for BenCab Museum.

Of course we went there on a Monday.



On our way back, we stopped by a crafts shop and I was able to buy a sleek black cat figurine that looks more like a trophy. We went back to town, had snacks at Dane's Bakeshop (reliving the old days!). We went looking for this cafe Hendrix told us to check out which is located near the University of Baguio.

The nice little shop called Ili-likha Cafe is owned by Kidlat Tahimik so the ambience was very similar with that of Oh My Gulay. When we were there, there was an ongoing exhibit on Rizal - amazing stuff from new/aspiring artists. There were no other customers at the cafe when we got there so we had all the freedom to take photos.








When Lian left, Karen and I continued the exploration to Tam-Awan Village. I can't explain why it was my first time in that place. lol There's too many things I never did when I was still in the city.




I know I'm late for the party, but here's my banyo selfie. :p
 Just infront of Tam-Awan Village is another art gallery - Arko ni Apo. I suppose the owner and artist Benhur Villanueva is always there, doing sculpture or something. He and his wife were there that afternoon. There's no entrance fee to the gallery.


When we were back in town, we didn't quite end the day yet. We went ukay-ukay shopping in the deep of the market. Again, it was my first time in that place. I was able to bag three nice jackets for P170. We bought pasalubong next.

And to cross out the last thing on our itinerary, we went to check out Ces' exhibit at Cafe by the Ruins (it was also my first time in there). We waited for Ces but she was busy with school. When Karen couldn't take the headache anymore, we went back to Drix's. I was set to stay for few more hours if Karen still does not feel well, but she insisted we go.


Gamblers by Cecil Robin 

Ito lang afford namin

It's always hard for me to leave Baguio. I still wish I could relocate here someday.


*All other photos that has me and Lian in them are taken by Karen Nono.

Popular Posts