Home for the New Year

I was supposed to have a long vacation, but things happened, so my two-week planned Christmas vacation was shortened to 5 days. Still, I'm thankful I got to spend the New Year with my family.

This is my hometown in December.




Just before the entrance to our house, I noticed this rope tied to the tree. When I asked about it, apparently, the makopa tree was broken by the recent typhoon Vinta. My brother was about to cut it down but my father said the tree would still live. And he was right! Nakatali nga lang, but the makopa tree is still alive. :)


A bush that surprisingly bears flowers. I just thought it's extraordinary since I've been seeing this plant for years and this is the first time I saw it bear flowers.


Everytime I get home, my family cooks me tinola with one of our homegrown native chickens. This one on top is lucky to have escaped the picking session, obviously because of its chicks.  


Like I always tell my city-grown friends, in the province, learning to ride the bike is a must. 

I can't decide who's really more between Mamang and me. But surely, she takes the cake for this year's Christmas tree.


It's one of the first thing I noticed one I entered the house. We don't have a plastic Christmas tree so we had to make do with living plants if we want one. As a kid, putting up the Christmas tree is one of the things that excite me when Christmas season is near. We used to use the money maker plant because it's tall but not too tall and it has lots of stalks where we can hang the decorations.

Let's talk food. I roasted this turkey. My uncle grows turkeys specifically to be sold on special occasions like Christmas and New Year. This one we traded for two adult chickens. Now, that's old school trading system. :D  



Though I didn't enjoy much of these food because I had food poisoning come New Year's eve.

Popular Posts