If This Was a Movie

We were together yesterday. We talked, walked together, and parted ways. If this was a movie, it would've ended up differently.

You called to tell me it's time to go. I was still working so I asked if I can have few more minutes to finish my work. You hesitated, but eventually gave in. We'd just commute then, you said.

I snuck in lunch while finishing work, before I called you up to say I'm ready.

We met downstairs and hailed a cab. You probably noticed my things, so you asked if I'm going back to the office after the event. Yes, of course, I said. These, are for work. I've so much work to do. Oh, you said, you're busy. If you got too much work, you shouldn't have come. You could've told me, and I could've just talked to your boss. No, it's fine, I answered. I liked to be here, with you. Did you manage to have lunch, you asked. Yes, a bite, I answered.

In an ordinary day, I'd hate the long and slow ride due to the metro traffic, but this one wasn't an ordinary day, for I was with you. I didn't mind getting stuck in traffic at all.

Then my boss called, just when you were asking me something. Seriously? After the call, you asked again about work and how busy are we. It's good the answer I had to give was long, thus prolonging the conversation.

Then we arrived at our destination. Right then, I looked for an area where I could work. You waited for me so we could go in together, I told you to just move along and I'll follow. Just do something quickly. But 'quickly' turned to half and hour, or maybe more. Because that's just how the universe works. I only wanted to spend the time with you, even if that means just sitting side by side and not really talking.

When I was finally done with my to-go work, the thing we went for was almost done as well. I made my way into that corner where you're seated. Damn, why did you have to choose the farthest corner when there are still seats available near the stage. But somehow, that thought also told me that you might also be socially shy, just like me.

I took the seat a seat away from you. I left a seat between us unoccupied, and put my stuff in it instead. You really do inexplicable and stupid things when you're with someone you like. It was awkward. I wanted to switch seats, it would be more awkward, and may be obvious, too.

I tried my best to take in the rest of the lecture, most of which I didn't really get, because the information were just too technical. Then the boss started calling me again. Apparently, I wasn't able to do the work right, so I had to do it again, as soon as possible. I reasoned out and just assured them I'd work on it as soon as I get back at the office.

On our way out, you were apologetic. Obviously, you noticed how my bosses kept calling and how I immediately got out of the room when it was over. I tried to keep cool and said it was all right, we just needed to get back to the office, the sooner the better.

While waiting for a cab, it began to drizzle. You offered your jacket and I politely declined.

After several moments, a cab stopped in front of us. You opened the door for me and I went in. You asked the driver to stop and bought some food from the sidewalk vendors, for your colleagues, you said, and offered me some. Again, I declined.

Finally, we reached the office. I could've got out of the cab even before it reaches the building where we work, but you particularly asked the driver to drop us right in front of the building. Before we got out, you asked if I want to get a snack first. I declined again, saying I really needed to get back to the office. Then you suggested to just send some snacks at my desk. I answered, it's fine. The vaguest of all the vague answer.

Then, it was time for me to step out of the elevator. "Sige na nga, gawin mo na yung pinapagawa nila sa'yo." I smiled and bid goodbye.

If this was a movie, it would've ended up differently.

If this was a movie, you would've called up to say you're dropping by the office to pick me up.

If this was a movie, you would've done me a favor by giving me more time so I can finish work and have lunch as well, all because you thought of me, and not because you had to.

If this was a movie, you would've opened the cab door for me and sat beside me at the passenger's seat.

If this was a movie, you would've opted to converse with me, rather than asking questions for small talks.

If this was a movie, you would've offered to help me when I said I needed to work on something.

If this was a movie, I would've sat right beside you for the rest of the lecture.

If this was a movie, it would've rained hard, and I would've to take your jacket for cover.

If this was a movie, you would've insisted on getting a snack first before we get back to work.

If this was a movie...

But this is not a movie. My life is not a movie.

Popular Posts