Snapshots from 2013 Holy Week Break

Getting tickets for a trip home has been extra-challenging due to the suspension of Florida. Ang laking hassle. Some bus companies took advantage of the situation and raised their rates. I managed to get a reservation at the North Star bus, but only up to Tuguegarao. I took it since Holy Week break may be the only break I could spend in Cagayan in a while.

It took me 16 hours before I finally reached home. I had to start working right after dropping off my backpack, because there was a task that was sent to me hours before and I couldn't do it while it transit.

The first questions I was asked were whether I'm still getting enough sleep because my eyes were set deep and I lose weight apparently. Probably why my folks never bothered me when I spent whole afternoons sleeping. I never get out more than 500 meters from the house.

Here are some snapshots from the break:

NEAR HARVEST. This is how the rice field beside our house looks like at this time of the year.

Harvested.
Something that made this vacation more fun: they now got a pet cat at home, after a while. She's practically just a kitten, but shes' very active.



This is how the headboard of my bed looks like now. I realized I don't really need a headboard where I can put my books, because there's not enough space. My mother used to use the space for her clothes, but she knows I requested for it to be made for my books. Now, I'm thinking of just placing the stuffed toys inside the small cabinet for a more cozy look and then get a bigger cabinet for my books.


Let's talk food. Whenever I go home, my mother sees it as an opportunity to fatten me up before sending me back to the harsh city life. I got to eat home-cooked meals I never get to eat in Manila and I could eat all I want with no one to stop me.

This is a summer staple. If Mt. Province has a macaroni halo-halo, my mother has a buco salad halo-halo. There were halo-halo sold in the neighborhood, and my mother always keeps her own ingredients and makes her own halo-halo. This year, she made a buco salad when I got home so, we had an instant halo-halo whenever we wanted. Just add crushed ice. :)


From my mother's Garden. There are lots of other new plants but I wasn't confident if my camera would give justice to the hues so I just took some snapshots. Pwede pa naman, keri pa ng aking lumang kamera.



The procession (prusisyon, we call it "Libut" in Ilocano and "Leffan" in Ibanag) came early this year, it was just past 4 p.m. when they passed through our barangay. Libut is like a funeral for Jesus. Images of Saints and of Jesus Christ lying in a glass coffin were paraded around town and people holding lit candles would walk with the procession while a group (usually consists of female elders) prays at the end of the procession.

When I was young, I used to look forward to this event. There were times when this happens twice – on Maundy Thursday and Black Friday. My cousins and I would go with the procession all the way to the other barangays.





Happy Easter!

Native chicken eggs.
It's tiny.

Popular Posts