Into the depths of Mt. Al-al

Even before the alarm rang, the ones from the other tent are already awake, conversing, sometimes giggling. It is raining, and the strong winds didn't stop. I don't know if we're going to push through with the climb today.

Our alarm rings. I probably had a total of an hour of sleep. Nobody wants to get out of their tents. We are talking by yelling out. Exchanging stuff through the tent opening. I don't know what the other two are doing inside their tent, but they are constantly talking. Meanwhile, my tent-mate and I are just sat there. Sometime, later, there was a moment of hysteria from the other tent, a scream was hear. Later, I'll learn that they were cooking inside the tent, when the fire suddenly grew, almost burning the tent.

I start eating sandwiches. This time, too, my companions are able to boil water. Finally, coffee. Probably, a couple of hours later, our guide comes to see us. He says, we'll have to wait for the weather to tame a little bit, and then we'll push through.

We pack lunch, trail food, pick our cameras, and in thick jackets, gloves, bonnets, raincoats, at around -- we start hiking to Mt. Al-al, the 4th highest peak in Luzon.



I will let the photos do the talking, but I will emphasize how brave we are to push through despite the stormy weather. The rain made the trail muddy and slippery, and contributed to the drop of temperature. I almost backed out upon seeing the first ascend we had to take--the side of the mountain leaning 80 degrees--muddy, and slippery. But our guide believes in us. We are a strong group, he tells me. He likes the fact that he leads but doesn't have to wait for us or give instructions on where we should step on. He also tells me I'm good at reading trails. 

He asks what are the mountains I've already climb, and he must've been surprised when I answered I never went on a major climb before. And everything I do is just guided by instinct, diskarte, and the thought that I will come out of this stronger. 

Sights like this one keeps me going. 


This is the summit of Mt. Al-al, and that peak right there is where we've been. 



The gang. Wik took the photo.
So she deserves this solo.
We eat lunch at the summit, and descend right after. The tricky part of the trail for me, as I do not have trekking pole. I had to improvise, and let my hidden ~mountaineering skills get me out of the most difficult climb I've ever done.

Popular Posts