In the Mountains Again

Fifteen minutes to seven and I was still fumbling with my computer at work, trying to move double time because I realized I really needed to leave immediately if I want to catch the 9pm trip to Sagada that Mara had booked at Coda Lines.

It was past seven when I arrived at my apartment, and I still had to finish the laundry I soaked earlier that day, before preparing for the trip. I haven't packed anything yet. I was so close to cancelling, but I decided to try and catch the trip anyway. Pag di ko naabutan, eh di hindi meant to be, saka na lang mag-iisip ng plan B. I had to try my luck because I was the one who thought of this trip. This is going to be my birthday hike (well, and also Michelle's). And then I realized I forgot to withdraw.

But all had been well; I was able to catch the bus, and Mara was able to find a remedy for my money problem.

I slept off most of the trip. We were already at Polis when I woke up. I looked for Dona, but she wasn't in our trip. While the tides were definitely in my favor, Dona did not have the same fate. She’s supposed to wait for the bus to pass by Lagawe, Ifugao, but the bus did not stop. According to her, she saw both buses bound for Sagada, but none of these stopped to take her in. She then decided to just stay in Ifugao and catch the trip the next day.

Tanghali na kami dumating sa Bontoc din, which is our real destination, but first, we have a business in Sagada.



Old buses in Bontoc transports your back to the old days

And we made it safe to Sagada. Medyo matagal lang yung biyahe. We reached Sagada at around 11am. We went straight to Gaia Cafe, Sagada's famous vegan restaurant, to eat.


Hindi na muna.


Add my name, and that's what I'm gonna call my bar.





And oh, I got a little star tattoo on my left middle finger. So random you said? Yes, it was. We just finished our meal and waiting for our bills when I noticed the tattoo artist we saw outside was smoking. “Wala na yata siyang ginagawa, pa-tattoo muna tayo,” I told Mara. Of course, she’s not one to prevent me from doing things I want. So now, I got a little star on one of my fingers.



Childhood



Our blockmate Lenz's family's bakeshop

From Gaia, we went to look for an inn. We inquired at Ganduyan, but they’re fully booked and referred us instead to their other branch, which was fully booked as well. We found a room at Alapo's Inn.

That afternoon, we planned to go hiking at Marlboro Hills, but then the young guide we were assigned to said that it was already late, and it will probably take us until 10pm if we’re going to push through. Thus we had to adjust our schedule. I was a bit unhappy because I expected that our scheduled will be followed because I wanted to hike as much while I was in the highlands.

What we did was just chat with our guide, and watched children play football, and eat halo-halo and carrot muffin. I love, love, love Sagada food! In case I haven’t stressed that enough in my past entries. Easily cured my unhappiness.


The famous Mt. Province halo-halo--it has macaroni.



Didn't know pine trees bear yellow flowers!

Popular Posts