My Loots from the Anvil Grand Christmas Sale

I wanted to go to the Anvil Booksale since last week when they opened, but I know I needed at least two hours so I'll have ample time to pick the good ones, so I scheduled the trip on weekend instead. I am staying in for the long weekendso I figured I'd go either on Saturday or Sunday.

Saturday. I boxed in the morning, and spent the rest of the day infront of my computer. Anvil is open on Sundays anyway. Sunday morning, tamad. In the afternoon though, I had to meet up with Pat, so I forced myself to go out. Plus it was very hot in the apartment anyway.

I followed the instruction posted at Anvil's Facebook on how to get to their store. From Shaw, I rode a jeep, got off at San Antonio (Tropical Hut), and waited for a tricycle. The thing is, there was no tricycle terminal in the area, thus, you have to wait for those tricycles passing by, and most of those who stopped by, declined to take me to Anvil (bawal daw yung iba). Then there was another guy who was consistently being refused by the drivers as well. I heard he was going to "Brixton." I took my phone and searched for Anvil's address. When I saw it was at Brixton, I figured we were going to the same place. When he managed to talk a driver into taking him to his destination, he asked if I was going to Anvil as well, and that I could join in. Salamat talaga!!

Medyo mahirap hanapin yung lugar. But tama yung nakita ko sa Google, malapit sa Madison Square, which is in Mandaluyong. Anyway, the booksale in at Anvil's warehouse. And indeed, ang daming murang books, but you just have to have a lot of patience, sipag at tiyaga. Mainit din kasi sa loob, and it was just a small, cramped space.


The books that are on sale are the old ones. Maalikabok and luma na. Yung mga luma na at nag-brown na ang pages, marami sa P5. The ones that are still in good condition are priced higher.

There were a lot of people (which is good!)--families and magkakabarkada. There are a lot of children looking for textbooks and other learning manuals, and college students looking for accounting, engineering and other books. Marami rin nun sa sale.

Same books, but with different condition are priced differently--something I learned after I got home and browsing though my loot. For example, I found this certain book at the P5 area, but then later, I found a better one in a different shelf. I assumed it was still priced P5, but apparently, the ones in better condition are priced differently, mas mahal kasi mas okay.

Kung masipag ka, you will be able to bag good and rare finds. Those who are looking for Filipiniana books, tiyagaan lang. I managed to get several local novels at very cheap prices (i.e. Lualhati Bautista's Gapo and Bata, Bata Pa'no Ka Ginawa for P20 each! Both still in almost brand new condition.) We took a peek at the other books that they were yet to put on sale, and marami dun local novels (Ang Huling Dalagang Bukid by Jun Cruz Reyes, among others) and other local books (Reportage series by Nick Joaquin). They did not put all the books in the sale pit at once, instead, they add new-old books daily. Hindi nga naman kasi kasya sa space lahat.

I was ready to spend the entire afternoon browsing through the shelves, but sa dami ng gusto kong bilhin (HOARDING!), sumakit na yung balikat ko sa pagbubuhat sa mga napili ko. After almost 2 hours, I paid for my loots. I spent P945 for all these. Sobrang bargain.


However, when I was scanning the books when I got home later. I found out that I could've get a better bargain if only I chose carefully and wisely. Hoarding kasi. Gusto lahat kunin, and pinili pa yung magagandang version, so mas mahal (na di ko naman nalaman agad). (TMI! And also nagmamadali ako dahil naiihi na ako nun.)

Last Friday, I was at Powerbooks looking for the books I need for my report, when I saw books on sale. I instantly browsed the through the shelf, and was on the way to the counter to pay for the ones I picked when I remembered to check the publisher. All of them are Anvil books. I returned them in an instant, and when my companions asked, I said I'll be going to Anvil that weekend anyway. Tama nga si Hannah nung sabi niya, "Oo nga, baka umiyak ka kapag nakita mo mas mura siya dun (sa Anvil booksale). Indeed, some of the books I saw at Powerbooks can also be found at the Anvil sale, and mas mura.

Here's a list of the books I got:

P100
  • Maria Kalaw Katigbak: A Charmed Life – Monina Allarey Mercado
  • The National Artists of the Philippines 1999-2003 Volume Two
  • Nur Misuari: An Authorized Biography – Tom Stern
  • Voices from Moro Land : Perspectives from Stakeholders and Observers on the Conflict in the Southern Philippines – Peter Kreuzer and Rainer Werning
P80
  • The Davao We know – Lolita Lacuesta
P50 
  • Ang Huling Dalagang Bukid at Ang Autobiograhy na Mali: Isang Imbestigasyon – Jun Cruz Reyes
  • Ang Silid na Mahiwaga: Kalipunan ng Kwento’t Tula ng mga Babaeng Manunulat – Soledad S. Reyes
  • Hot Money Warm Bodies: The Downfall of Philippine President Joseph Estrada – Ellen Tordesillas and Greg Hutchinson
  • Philippine Economic Development Issues – Gerardo P. Sicat (may P5 nito, pero kinuha ko kasi yung mas magandang copy)
  • Great Men and Women of Asia: Ramon Magsaysay Awardees from South Asia, 1987-2005
P20
  • Gapo – Lualhati Bautista
  • Bata, Bata… Pa’no Ka Ginawa? – Lualhati Baustista
  • Indigenous Peoples and the World Summit on Sustainable Development 
  • Asia-Pacific Women’s Studies Journal Number 3 1994
  • The Anti-Development State: The Political Economy of Permanent Crisis in the Philippines – Walden Bello
P10
  • Cory: An Intimate Portrait II Selected Trbutes and Eulogies – Margie Penson Juico
  • Feminista: Gender, Race, and Class in the Philippines – Noelle Leslie dela Cruz and Jeane Peracullo (editors)
  • Mindanao Folktales – Rolando C. Esteban, Arthur P. Casanova, Ivie C. Esteban
  • Soledad’s Sister – Jose Dalisay
  • Noynoy: Triupmh of a People’s Campaign – Wilfrido Villacorta
  • Children Are People Too: A Guide to the Convention on the Rights of the Child for students and Teachers – Daniel O’Donnell

P5
  • Rampa: Mga Sanaysay – Danton Remoto
  • The Cebu We Know – Erma M. Cuizon
  • Glimpses: Peoples of the Philippines – Jesus Peralta
  • Twisted V – Jessica Zafra
  • Twisted 9 – Jessica Zafra
  • Soul Mates: Karma and Reincarnation – Jaime Licauco
  • Waking the Dead and Other Horror Stories – Yvette Tan
  • Asia’s Gems: Inspiring Words from the Ramon Magsaysay Awardees
  • Peace Warriors: On the Trail with Filipino Soldiers – Criselda Yabes
  • Filipino Peace Women: Nominees to the 2005 Nobel Peace Prize – Paulynn P. Sicam and Olivia H. Tripon
  • Jungle of No Mercy: Memoir of a Japanese Soldier – Hiroyuki Mizuguchi
So now, let's find time to read all these, eh.

Popular Posts