Rivermaya

The original Rivermaya: Nathan Azarcon, Perf de Castro, Bamboo Manalac, Mark Escueta, Rico Blanco (Photo not mine)
This entry has long been lying in the drafts waiting to be finished and published. Today, after this video of the current and former members of Rivermaya jamming together, I felt the need to finally finish writing this entry.

The band caught my attention when I heard their song “Himala”. I was about 5 years old then. I remembered playing the cassette tape with that song over and over again. Back then our only source of music at home is this rectangular radio with a single big speaker. It has a cassette tape player, and can scan FM and AM stations. We call it karaoke since it can be used as such as well. I remember we had a cassette tape of Rivermaya, along with tapes of old musicians and country music that my father liked. It's rather odd that we had that lone alternative tape, but probably because it is OPM. This was how I came to know about Rivermaya.


I didn't know who the Rivermaya were. But one time, a cousin told me that this wig-donning, clown-looking man singing "Elesi" is named Bamboo. I used to think of him as "adik". Growing up, I was exposed to the wider world of music thanks to my cousins who were into rock and alternative and liked watching MTV. I used to stay at their house and would watch MTV with them for hours. Our house stood next to the my cousin's who'd play music on hours end. That's how I heard the music various local and foreign bands. Bon Jovi, Def Leppard, Nirvana, Goo Goo Dolls–these are just few of the bands whose music were regularly played on our neighbor's radio. There was an era when every time my cousin Caloy would see me, he'd sing Iris by Goo Goo Dolls. When it comes to local music, I also loved the music of Eraserheads, Barbie, Parokya ni Edgar, and Moonstar88 among others. Together with Rivermaya, these were the bands that provided the soundtracks of my childhood and early teenage years.



Bamboo, Mark Escueta, Nathan Azarcon, Rico Blanco (Photo: funnysexy.ph)
One day, the voice behind the band changed. But my love for the band has remained. Perhaps the intensity lessened, but hey, Rico Blanco taking over the vocals post wasn't as bad. Plus he's the main songwriter of the band I think?

Blanco, Escueta, Azarcon in Nerbyoso 


Mark Escueta, Mike Elgar, Rico Blanco, Japs Sergio (Photo: manila.olx.com.ph)
As years go by, life happened. People left the band. New people came in. I was in already in college when Rivermaya launched a grand search for its new vocalist. Back then, I was kinda wishing they'd rather disband and just give way to the new generation of bands. But they were firm. Now, Rivermaya still holds on to their spot in the Filipino music industry with new faces and Escueta standing by the band through the years.

Elgar, Sergio, Escueta, Jason Fernandez (Photo: Nina Sandejas)
Rivermaya in 2011: Ryan Peralta, Norby David, Mike Elgar, & Mark Escueta (Photo: ask.com)
As I mentioned, yesterday I saw this video of a jam session of old and new members of Rivermaya and I was ecstatic to see Bamboo jamming with Mark Escueta, Mike Elgar and the other members! The video by photographer Nina Sandejas became a hit and now fans were crying out for a reunion concert.



I remember Bamboo was once asked in a radio interview, whether he sees any Rivermaya reunion concert happening in the future, he simply answered, the band (Rivermaya) is still there so no reunion concert would happen in the near future. But then, fans like me can always hope. 😃

Popular Posts