Home in Time for Christmas

Home is where tinubung is <3 td="">
In my hometown of Camalaniugan, tinubung is among the things that signifies Christmas. Tinubung is a delicacy made from ground sticky rice with coconut milk, sugar, nuts or raisins and is cooked in a low fire inside a bamboo tube. This food is usually served only during the Christmas holidays, although there are times that it is sold in the market even if it is not Christmas. If other places in the Philippines have their puto-bumbong, we have this and bibingka in Ilocano-Ibanag world.

--

From Nepal, I couldn't go straight home to Cagayan for an extended holiday break even though that's what I wanted because I still have to attend to several things, and I still have to meet up with Melvin to get my coffee he bought for me from Japan.

I didn't have a bus ticket as always. People were so worried for me because it is really difficult to take chances on days that are closer to Christmas. I said I don't have anything to do on the 24th anyway so it's just fine if I stay at the terminal to wait until I get a seat.

On the night of 23rd, after a quick catch up with Melvin, I went straight to Florida terminal in Sampaloc. After alighting from the grab car, I went straight to the bus that has an Aparri sign on it and asked the staff I saw who was surrounded by people if there is still a space for a chance passenger. He asked where I am going and after I answered, he told me to go on inside and told another employee to get my luggage. I was seated at the backmost part of bus, but I wouldn't complain because at least I wasn't seated at center. My seat was far more comfortable than the ones seated at the center.

My back and butt hurt during the grueling 16-hour trip from Manila to my hometown. There were a lot of roads in Vizcaya nad Isabela that are under construction so it made the trip even longer. So I was just so ecstatic once I got home. It was last Christmas break when I last saw my family.

I don't have any photo of the holiday food because we had a simple celebration this year. But every time I go home, my family cook me a native chicken.


As always, it was a cold, windy, wet Christmas. Just imagine how difficult it is to go to Misa de Gallo in this weather.


And here are this season's blooms and greens from my parents' ornamental and vegetable gardens. Nainggit ako sa gardening life sa probinsya.



Popular Posts