Exploring Erawan Falls

As I said, we did not have an itinerary for this trip. My friend and I literally just decided what to do or where to go at most the night before. Once we arrived in Kanchanaburi, we just relied on recommendations from our airbnb hosts.

After spending a day in the center of Kanchanaburi, we wanted to see other sights in the province and among the most popular and recommended is Erawan Falls. We also wanted to go to an elephant camp, but it was expensive, so perhaps we'd do that next time, and this time, we'd just go to Erawan.

My breakfast on the day we went to Erawan. I already had pastry, but I realized I've been to Thailand for two weeks already yet I never had tom yum. Our airbnb sells instant noodles and despite only having hot water in a thermos, we managed to 'cook' ourselves tom yum noodles before heading out. Good thing we did because we had no idea we really needed energy for Erawan. The tea is from my #food security package. One thing I learned from this trip is to make sure to have a food security package with you when you're travelling, especially if you're staying at airbnb accommodations or hostels, because you need to eat before you go out exploring places or else you'll end up being energy-drained and not enjoy your trip at all. . . . . #ErawanFalls #ErawanNationalPark #Kanchanaburi #Thailand #AmazingThailand #SoutheastAsia #Asia #TravelAsia #colors #tomyum #asianfood #thaifood
A post shared by Irish RD (@iyyrish) on

After breakfast, we walked to the terminal and looked for the bus going to Erawan. While buying bus tickets, we were again mistaken for locals. I was on the lookout for other foreigners that would take the bus, but I guess we were the only foreigners in a bus filled mostly with local tourists. Fare is 50 bahts each. It was a two-hour ride with interesting sights along the way. Before entering Erawan National Park, you have to pay 200 bahts (for foreigners) and 100 bahts (for locals) at the entrance.


I thought that once we get to Erawan, we'd immediately see the waterfalls. (Again, tamad me did not do her research. 😂) Apparently, Erawan has seven levels of waterfalls–that's seven different waterfalls located in different levels of the mountain. One has to trek for 45 minutes to see all seven waterfalls, but my friend and I finished the trek going up for 1 hour and 30 minutes, and then another 30 minutes or so going down, what with the appropriate outfits we were wearing. (We looked like we were just going to a picnic as we were only wearing slippers. I felt comforted every time I saw someone wearing more uncomfortable clothing. 😂)

There were these 2 bridges--one concrete and one wooden--laid out side by side across a stream below. When we got there, everyone was taking the cocrete bridge it looked like the other one is no longer in use or something, but I didn't see any sign prohiting the use of the wooden bridge so I instantly told my friend that I wanted to take the one that looks unsafe and risky, because what is life without thrills. 😂 Soon enough other people followed and took the wooden bridge as well. Plus it add to the drama. The concrete one just looks bland and boring. Waw important haha The trails in Erawan National Park are a mix of concreted path and dirt road. Perhaps it rained few days before we went there because some paths were still muddy. There are also stairs all over the site to make the trek easier for visitors like me who dressed appropriately~. There lots of visitors so you won't get lost in the trail. But my friend and I (through my lead😅) did get lost for a moment when we thought we're at a dead end but in reality, we had to cross a shallow pool to get to the next level. #ErawanFalls #ErawanNationalPark #Kanchanaburi #Thailand #AmazingThailand #SoutheastAsia #Asia #TravelAsia
A post shared by Irish RD (@iyyrish) on

A post shared by Irish RD (@iyyrish) on

A post shared by Irish RD (@iyyrish) on

And after 15 days of living in a hotel, it felt good just walking in the forest–surrounded by greens and with sounds of birds and crickets in the background. As for the waterfalls, they are nothing extraordinary (wow taas ng standards!). I've seen far more beautiful waterfalls in the Philippines. But what is unique with Erawan is the fact that there are seven waterfalls that you can see in a single trip to the mountains/forest. I never did that anywhere else.



Some time during our trek, I almost slipped while I was setting the camera to take a video of the trail. This is why it is necessary to wear proper clothing when going to such places. And of course, to pay attention to the trail, instead of taking photos and videos. 😏



Terima kasih mi amiga @urban_hippie_wannabe for these videos which are reminders na dapat nagri-research muna bago pumunta sa isang lugar para hindi naka-bestida at tsinelas para sa trek/mahabang lakaran na paakyat-pababa, madulas, lulusong pa sa tubig pa at tutulay pa sa kahoy. "Merrel adventures" turned tsinelas adventures. To be fair nagsurvive ang mga tsinelas namin at di kami napilitang magyapak tulad ng ibang nakakasalubong namin. Hopped into a bus for a 2-hour ride to Erawan National Park. I did not research about this place because we do not have pre-prepared itinerary. For this trip, we literally jut decided what to do or where to go a day before. We just relied on therecommendations of our airbnb hosts. We would've preferred to go to an elephant camp, but it was way expensive. I thought once you get to Erawan, you'd immediately see the waterfalls. Aparrently, Erawan has 7 levels (different waterfalls that are somehow interconnected or because these are all located in a single area). Visitors had to trek for 45 minutes. My friend and I finished the trek up for 1 hour and 30 minutes and another 30 minutes or so going down, what with the appropriate outfits we were wearing. Naka-pang picnic kami 😂. But I felt comforted every time may makakasalubong ako na mas hassle pa ang suot kesa sa'kin. As for the waterfalls, nothing extraordinary (wow taas ng standards!). But I felt good just walking to see all of them. It's just a chill hike. My friend and I are just wearing slippers. But it would be more comfortable if you wear proper footwear. We did not swim becuase we did not bring extra clothing. But we did dipped into the cold water and let the fishes massage/bite our feet. There are a lot of fishes in the waterfalls. There are also monkeys in the forests! 😊 The entire park is well-maintained. At a certain point, visitors are no longer allowed to bring drinks and food. You have the option to leave your bottled water at the station or take it with you but leave a deposit. . . . . . . #ErawanFalls #ErawanNationalPark #Kanchanaburi #Thailand #AmazingThailand #SoutheastAsia #Asia #TravelAsia
A post shared by Irish RD (@iyyrish) on

The entire park is well-maintained. At a certain point, visitors are no longer allowed to bring drinks and food. You have the option to leave your bottled water at the station or take it with you but leave a deposit.


We did not swim because we did not bring extra clothing. All we did was dip our feet in the cold water and let the fishes massage/bite them. There are a lot of fishes in the waterfalls. Perhaps these are not for fishing. They're just there, having the time of their lives.

A post shared by Irish RD (@iyyrish) on

At the beginning of the trek to Erawan Falls, there were several signs along the way saying feeding monkeys is prohibited. I was just excited to see monkeys because they are something I do not see every day. On our way back, I noticed a woman screaming and pointing at another person lying in their picnic mat. I thought they knew each other, apparently, the woman was saying a monkey was taking away their food. It happened really fast. When the man realized their food was taken, the monkey was already up in a nearby tree. I think it's a pack of peeled jackfruit that this naughty little one took.

A post shared by Irish RD (@iyyrish) on

A post shared by Irish RD (@iyyrish) on

We bought snacks/lunch and milk tea after coming down, while waiting for the bus back to Kanchanaburi.

Popular Posts